Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Videos from FireFox

I just updated Shockwave and QuickTime plugins for Firefox (47.0.1), but now most videos won’t play. I looked at my add-ons tab, plug-ins. Shockwave is there, it’s set to always active, and is not in protected mode. Quicktime is now gone. One flash in particular that won’t play is from my local paper:

Mod edit: removed file URL.

Sometime YouTube videos will play but other times I just get sound and no video. If I click again, sometimes I get error message that says: “An Error occurred, Please try again later. (playback ID: zxyL_BnXn-idF9wt.)”

What's the issue here?

Thanks.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-11-04 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Try disabling the two add-ons. If that doesn't fix it, then check to see if you have Flash Block installed (another add-on). If you do, then disable it.

If this doesn't fix things, then note the current version numbers and dates for Shockwave and QuickTime, and see if you can find the previous version of each. If you can, then uninstall the current version of each, and then install the previous version of each.

Thanks
    oldversion.com and oldapps.com may be good places to find the earlier versions.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3
    I just updated Shockwave and QuickTime plugins for Firefox (47.0.1), but now most videos won’t play. What's the issue here?
    Have you tried updating Firefox? Current version is 49.0.2.

Thanks
    Chances are high that you don't need Shockwave, just Flash.

Always use the latest supported Flash version, either from the https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ page (stub installer, watch out for the 'extras', uncheck the boxes) or via somewhere like Corrine's SecurityGarden blog (these a re linked full version files, straight from Adobe - no extras, ideal for download once, install on many) as I do and where there's also a link for the Flash uninstaller, which I'd also advise you to use before rebooting to install the latest Flash version.

If Flash isn't working on a specific site, there are some fixes around that don't require you to drop back to an old, vulnerable version - but, as it's updated so frequently (rushed), it can be buggy.

Flash is the major conduit for exploit attacks on Windows via the graphical interface, fonts, etc. I don't remember a time over the last 3-4 years when the new version didn't contain some 'fix' for a currently active exploit.

Those Flash exploits are often found as 'adverts' on 'ordinary' sites, just like your local site, the links should always be to the page where the content is, not to the file. I'm removing the link, just in case.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the latest version of Flash and I still get messages (from Comcast, e.g.) that I'm using an antiquated version of flash. (Older than 15.x) I don't see Flash anywhere in my Add-on's list in F/F, even though I can bring up the Adobe Flash control panel and see that I'm current. What's going on here? (I've tried it with Shockwave activated and deactivated. No difference.)

Thanks
    Use the SecurityGarden blog linked earlier, download the Flash uninstaller and the latest version of Flash for the browser you need to use) then run the Flash uninstaller, reboot. Install the latest Flash. Start browser, test.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the video version error to go away and now the Comcast web page and YouTube seem to play. But, I still can't get the videos on my local newspaper's web site to play. Why would that be?

Thanks
    Maybe an adblocker or similar installed in your browser is blocking them or preventing the necessary scripts from running, list your Add-ons > Extensions for us, please.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's easy in FF to check if an addon is causing the problem; Menu, Help, Restart with Addons Disabled. If the problem goes away, re-enable them one-by-one till it comes back.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The addon "Disconnect" seemed to be in the way!

Thanks
    Good work - is there a way to modify the trigger/action of Disconnect per site?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There doesn't seem to be a way to modify. I run FF in Sandboxie and I'm getting a different result in the box from when it's run outside of the sandbox.... Flash is not working the same way in the box...

Thanks
    Ah, by default, Flash has it's own sandbox, iirc. Running a sandboxed app inside another sandbox is very likely to cause complications.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...d-mode-firefox

Try Sandboxie's support forum for related topics, like this one: http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/v...p?f=11&t=23314

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast