2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Shut Down Issue

A friend of mine is having an issue with his computer "shutting down" at times. Here's a message he emailed me about it. He is out-of-state, so I cannot do anything physically with his computer. I'm in the process of changing remote access software as well, so it might be a little bit before I can remote in to his machine if it's software related. Does anyone have some insight I can share with him? Thanks!

The computerwill be on and all of a sudden it freezes then screen goes black. The onelittle light at bottom right that is a circle with a line at the top in it isstays on and the WI-FI Light stays on the light that flashes when something isloading goes out. I cannot see the Pointer or anything.

I have toturn Power off and back on on computer. Sometimes it will have 2 screens oneat top and the other at bottom of Desktop some times it loads as it should.Sometimes it goes black during Start up and sometimes it doesn't. But when itdoes load back up sometimes it will work maybe a day without doing it a gain.Sometimes it is just a little while and it will do it again.

I don't knowwhat to do to get to stop doing this. When it does load back up I don't looseanything. it is all there as it was. I contactedDell and they told me that it was out of warranty and they could not doanything to help me with the issue I was having.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    First thing is a full image backup to USB disk.
    After that I'd suspect a hardware issue, maybe screen related as he gets 2 screens on re-start.
    If it's a desktop I'd reseat all the connectors, if it's a laptop I'd try an external monitor to see if it's screen or motherboard.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-11-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Where there is more than one RAM module fitted, I'd see how it performs with just one fitted in turn and in different slots.

Make sure your friend knows how to safely handle the cards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To rule out a driver or other software problem, he should install "Who Crashed" to analise any Dump files Windows may have produced.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-11-06),RolandJS (2016-11-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    To rule out a driver or other software problem, he should install "Who Crashed" to analise any Dump files Windows may have produced.
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
    Excellent advice, Calimanco! However, consider my personal experience, may I quote myself from another place:
    "EMET 5 & HitmanPro & Alert clash -- my personal experience, your experience may be different.
    Hundreds of cold boot/load/startups, Restarts, HitmanPro and its Alert, once installed & configured, never BSOD'd.
    Suddenly after EMET 5 installed, Recommended settings -- three BSODs within 1-2 hours.
    Using Resplendence's What Crashed, although it three times pointed to HitmanPro's Alert, I suspected the sudden appearance of EMET 5 was the real cause, and HitmanPro simply took the hit, three times. Revo Uninstalled EMET -- no more BSODs.
    Again: EMET 5 & HitmanPro & Alert clash -- my personal experience, your experience may be different."
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good info. I'll work with him to rule off software/driver issues first, and if it's hardware, he'll have to talk to a local repair facility up there since that'll be out of my hands.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Thanks
    In addition to the sound advice above, my main thought is the #1 enemy of hardware, ie heat--especially since it's an old machine. If it's never been cleaned, maybe a simple case open and run thru with soft brush and compressed air will solve him problems.

Next thought is that the graphics specifically is overheating. Has he started doing any new graphics-heavy work around the time the problem started?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-11-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    In addition to the sound advice above, my main thought is the #1 enemy of hardware, ie heat--especially since it's an old machine. If it's never been cleaned, maybe a simple case open and run thru with soft brush and compressed air will solve him problems.

Next thought is that the graphics specifically is overheating. Has he started doing any new graphics-heavy work around the time the problem started?
    I don't think he has done anything too major, but he does run a few weather tools which are a little graphics intense (GRLevel3 and WSV3; I run these myself). Drivers in Device Manager look OK. I told him holler back at me if it happens again and specifically document what happens so I can better troubleshoot it.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The classic "right" thing to do is to take a look at the system events. Your friend will need to know exactly when an example of the problem occurs because a system can commonly log a lot of events.

Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer | Windows Logs | System

You are looking for Error events rather than Information events. However realistically, there are some barriers with Event Viewer:

1). As I say, a lot of events can be logged. The simple volume of messages can be a problem (this varies a lot by log and system use);
    2). Sometimes events get logged into an unexpected place (say, Application or Security rather than System);
    3). The Error event indicating the problem can sometimes be stark and uninformative. In that case look for Information events immediately before or after the Error event. These can sometimes give you more crucial detail about what happened;
    4). Your friends computer abruptly goes dark, without even a mouse cursor, and freezes. That could be bad news in terms of Event Viewer. There has to be enough life left in Windows to log the event; if Windows goes completely dead fast enough, the relevant events may never get logged.
    5). Even if all goes well, Event Viewer only tells you what happened and when, and the detail is always sparse. You cannot fix a problem in Event Viewer, only get the record of what happened. You then have to take that information forward to a different part of the system to fix it.

The good news is, your friends computer stays on even after the freeze. The circle with a line at the top in it is a power indicator.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-11-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update on this: Strangely, he thinks it was tied to an issue with Chrome. After an update to Chrome, everything has been running great for the time being. We'll see if this is really the case or if I need to perform further troubleshooting. I was suspecting something deeper, but so far he said he updated Chrome and it's working OK, so maybe strangely there is a connection.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.