Star Lounger
    Thanks

Loss of SQL server connectivity after PCMover transfer to new laptop

Hello All,
    I have just used Laplink PCMover to transfer as much as possible from an old Win 10 Pro 64 laptop to a new one. The setup was smooth and I appreciated the fine control that one has over what is moved. Over a wired 1 GB network it was pleasingly quick and seemed to achieve everything I expected. I think 300 GB were transferred comfortably within the evening. Most applications seem to work fine.

But ... why must there always be a but?

I have a British farm accounting application (Landmark's Key Prime) that I use for monthly accounts and VAT returns. It uses MS SQL server for its database. It has worked well on the old PC for a couple of years. After the migration Key Prime was unable to connect to any database.
    Discussion with the Landmark support people led to the verdict that SQL server was not set up correctly. And when the chap tried to run a reinstallation of SQL components, it failed. (He was controlling my PC using Team Viewer.)

So I decided to use the Undo function in PCMover and take a different approach. The Undo ran pretty quickly and apparently OK. I then re-ran the PC to PC transfer but explicitly deselecting both the Key Prime application and any component named SQL anything. That transfer ran OK; such applications as I have tested seem to work OK.

I then ran the install function for Key Prime (from the CD) which includes installing some SQL database components. But alas, the installation of the SQL bits failed. The error message says:
    "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft SQLServer Connectionsinfo, Version=11.0.0.0. Culture=neutral. Public KeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

So now what?
    How can I diagnose what is wrong with this PC's Windows 10 / SQL server setup? And I would not know what to look for!
    What is the correct SQL reinstallation component to run? (As I said above, the Landmark support chap ran one attempt to reinstall SQL using a MS download (via TeamViewer), but after it failed he deleted his download.)

I do not understand which if any bits of SQL related function come as part of Windows 10 Pro versus what is installed with the Key Prime application.
    So I don't know how to get back to a clean base from which to rerun the Prime plus SQL installation.

Is there someone in the Lounge who knows the way around all this?
    Thanks,
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The error message seems to point to a missing DLL, like from SQL Server Management Objects. In order to download it, you will need to know which version of SQL Server is being used by the app you mentioned.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The error message seems to point to a missing DLL, like from SQL Server Management Objects. In order to download it, you will need to know which version of SQL Server is being used by the app you mentioned.
    Thank you, Rui,
    The useful tool Sys Info for Windows (SIW) by Gabriel Topala tells me that the old PC has:
    - MS SQL Server
    File Version 2011.0110.5343.00((SQL11_SP2_GDR).150504-1902) (2011.110.5343.0)
    Product Version 11.0.5343.0 (11.0.5343.0)
    - MS SQL server 2012 64 bit

Version unknown (!!)

The same tool says the new PC has neither of these at the moment, though in fact c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server does exist, but only with subfolders 90 and 110.

The old PC has a path:
    File Path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.LMKEYPRIMESERVER\MSSQL\Binn\ which refers to the Key Prime DB server.
    This is not present in the new PC.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Note that SQL Server older than SQL Server 2012 is NOT supported on Windows 10. See Using SQL Server in Windows 8 and later versions of Windows operating system for more information.

You should thoroughly check known issues with Windows 10 for the version of SQL Server you attempting to install.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems the app used SQL Server 2012, in the old PC. You also stated that you seem not to have any version installed in the new PC. I didn't quite understand what happened with the Prime installation - did the installation complete or not?

The error message you stated earlier about the missing dll could possibly be solved by download SQL Server Management Objects... So I guess you need to decide what to do. Did you uninstall the app after the error message showed up? And what version does Prime require - is Express enough or does it require a paid version? What does Prime support tells you need to do?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ruirib,
    To answer your questions:
    1. did the installation complete or not? The installation package (CD) installs both the app Prime and the necessary SQL components. Prime instal ran OK, but the SQL failed.
    The error message was as stated above and here:
    "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft SQLServer Connectionsinfo, Version=11.0.0.0. Culture=neutral. Public KeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

2. As you say, I must decide what to do! That is the question. You suggest getting SQL Server Management Objects. So what exactly do I download?

3. Did you uninstall the app after the error message showed up? Prime is still on my system. When I start it, its launchpad comes up, tries to connect to the SQL server and fails ssaying: Launchpad was unable to connect to the database server (T560\LMKEYPRIMESERVER)

4. What version does Prime require? I don't know because the necessary components come on the same CD as Prime itself. In the light of your and JoeP517 this is a question I must put to the Landmark support people tomorrow.

On Friday the support chap was stuck for an answer ... except perhaps rebuild Winows from scratch!
    Thanks for your response.
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    For SQL Server 2012, you need to download the corresponding Feature Pack: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=29065

It has a lot of stuff, most of which you don't need, but I am not sure whether you can avoid what you don't need.

Probably you need to download this and install it before you attempt to install either the app (which you already have, so likely you may skip it) or SQL Server 2012. Maybe have the support guy try a new SQL Server setup after you install the feature pack?
    Rui
    -------
    R4