Star Lounger
    Thanks

Foxit PDF Writer overwrites existing files without warning

I've been using the Foxit PDF Writer that comes with the Foxit Reader for years. In the last couple of weeks, I noticed that it started adding a number to the end of the file name when I selected an existing file. Prior to that, it would offer the standard "Replace existing?" type of prompt. When I went into the Preferences for the Printer, it has only two file-handling options: "Overwrite existing file" and "Add a numeric suffix." I'm not sure how this was changed to the suffix option, but when I changed to the overwrite option, it simply overwrote any file that happened to exist, without any warning whatsoever.

I've been communicating with Foxit support, but they seem to be puzzled that I'm even asking this question. That is, they seem to think that overwriting an existing file without alerting the user with a confirmation dialog is desirable behavior. Well, there might be situations where this is true, but not if that is the only option offered. After all, it is extremely easy to accidentally click on a file name while trying to navigate folders. The other option of automatically adding a suffix is obviously not desirable if you wanted to replace the file.

Has anyone else run into this? Why would an interface designer think that a "replace after confirmation" option is not the proper default for a potentially destructive command (and at least make that a choice)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    Has anyone else run into this? Why would an interface designer think that a "replace after confirmation" option is not the proper default for a potentially destructive command (and at least make that a choice)?
    No I haven't; and "beats me"
    Just to be sure, check the settings for anything like 'auto mode' or 'unattended operation'--iow something which would disable anything that could result in a user prompt.

A few alternatives: Best Free PDF Writer Software.

Possible workaround: save files to a temp 'working' folder, and when you're done, move them to their permanent home and let Windows supply the 'Replace or...' prompt for you.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    I've been using the Foxit PDF Writer that comes with the Foxit Reader for years. In the last couple of weeks, I noticed that it started adding a number to the end of the file name when I selected an existing file. Prior to that, it would offer the standard "Replace existing?" type of prompt. When I went into the Preferences for the Printer, it has only two file-handling options: "Overwrite existing file" and "Add a numeric suffix." I'm not sure how this was changed to the suffix option, but when I changed to the overwrite option, it simply overwrote any file that happened to exist, without any warning whatsoever.

I've been communicating with Foxit support, but they seem to be puzzled that I'm even asking this question. That is, they seem to think that overwriting an existing file without alerting the user with a confirmation dialog is desirable behavior. Well, there might be situations where this is true, but not if that is the only option offered. After all, it is extremely easy to accidentally click on a file name while trying to navigate folders. The other option of automatically adding a suffix is obviously not desirable if you wanted to replace the file.

So glad that I am not the only one tearing my hair out over this behaviour. I agree with you completely - it's a dumb design.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a couple of back-and-forths ending with a screen shot of an older version displaying the desired behavior, I've been told they have submitted my request to development. My guess was that a change in the controls on their configuration dialog had eliminated the default behavior (or a change in Windows 10 broke their implementation). In the meantime, they gave me a link to a "clean" installer for 8.0.2 instead of the latest version, which was 8.1.0. That has fixed the problem:

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f...etup_clean.exe