iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Summarizing Microsoft's new update schedules

On Security

Summarizing Microsoft's new update schedules

By Tracey Capen

Microsoft has been busily shuffling the Windows-patching deck, especially for Win7 users. That's both good news and bad.

The company's push toward monthly roll-up or cumulative updates that contain both security and nonsecurity (aka "quality") fixes should make updating Windows faster and easier. But there's also a dark side to this new methodology.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/summarizing-microsofts-new-update-schedules/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2016-11-07 at 20:38.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update preview: why would anyone want them, other than a developer? I have not signed up as a developer and so far I have ignored the previews...
    Restart schedule: why is it carved in stone that the window for automatic update/restart cannot be less than 12 hours? At my workplace is it very common that machines are in use from early morning till late in the evening. A more reasonable window would be, say, midnight to 0600. Or why not just one hour, 0300-0400 like the default automatic update in Win7.

/Thomas