Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Cleanup wants to free 3.99 TB on my 120GB SSD?

Am I missing something?

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by OldMainframeGuy; 2016-11-08 at 14:58.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd be running chkdsk to be sure the disk is OK before cleaning up.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have also received this spurious alleged amount of disk space available to be freed up when running disk Cleanup on several occasions since installation of the Anniversary Update. CHKDSK has revealed no "issues".
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I'd be running chkdsk to be sure the disk is OK before cleaning up.

cheers, Paul
    I found a link (somewhere) to Neowin's web site which discusses this latest patch and someone else made the same observation about Disk Cleanup showing terabytes of data that can be freed. This person also observed that running the Windows maintenance function fixes the problem. I did, and it did. Apparently it's just "cosmetic".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I ran Disk Cleanup and it showed 4.02TB for Windows Update Cleanup on a 640GB HDD.

I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and when I went back to see how it was getting on, saw two completed lines of 100% with a flashing cursor.

Went back to it later to see it still the same so I did a CTL+c which eventually cancelled it and ran it again.

This time while still taking some time to complete, completed with just a single line of 100%

I ran Disk Cleanup again and there was no sign of any Windows Update Cleanup files to delete.

Just wondering if the 4.02TB caused some confusion for the dism cmd.....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's like the Tardis, the SSD is bigger on the inside. Thus you can have 4 TB of space on a 120 GB SSD!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    It's like the Tardis, the SSD is bigger on the inside. Thus you can have 4 TB of space on a 120 GB SSD!
    Would that be because of compression of files within the folders? I've never used an SSD and would like to learn more about them.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Compression can't magic TBytes of space. It's some weird W10 stuff.

There is nothing special about an SSD if you install the OS from scratch - except for being very fast. If you are upgrading an existing HDD then you need to take some extra steps.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would that be because of compression of files within the folders?
    That's an interesting thought, but no. The rule of thumb is that on the broad range of file content found on typical systems, compression can achieve roughly a 50% space savings (a 2:1 ratio comparing uncompressed to compressed space utilization). On highly compressible data, such as many databases, you can get 90% space savings (10:1).

For the OP numbers, the numbers are 1 - (120 GB / 4,096 GB) = 97% (34:1). This is so far above what compression can do that we can rule it out entirely. It's just not plausible.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's with the proper analysis, we prefer conjecture, innuendo and plain old FUD.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @OldMainframeGuy: Have you run Disk cleanup again? If so, did the same "error" appear? In my case, it no-longer appears (and I have "cleaned up" after three Windows Updates since it last appeared).
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-11-19 at 06:52. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What's with the proper analysis, we prefer conjecture, innuendo and plain old FUD.
    Ah, my bad! So sorry, it won't happen again! I hereby commit to frivolity, internet memes, facepalm statements, and off-topic posts. In other words standard "new" internet etiquette.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Ah, my bad! So sorry, it won't happen again! I hereby commit to frivolity, internet memes, facepalm statements, and off-topic posts. In other words standard "new" internet etiquette.

Didn't you omit "false news"?
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>I have also received this spurious alleged amount of disk space available to be freed up when running disk Cleanup on several occasions since installation of the Anniversary Update. CHKDSK has revealed no "issues".<<
    Actually, I have gotten this same spurious message with Cleanmgr and I am on Win10 Pro 1511 . . .
    My laptop uses a 512 GB SSD that is partitioned and the OS is on a 175 GB partition so no way can there be several TBs of files to delete.
    Just another M$ oopsie in my mind.
    I do find that when I tell Cleanmgr to clean up the files, the 'progress bar' runs to the ends and then just sits there until I click the upper right X. When I rerun Cleanmgr for curiosity everything is 'normal'

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @OldMainframeGuy: Have you run Disk cleanup again? If so, did the same "error" appear? In my case, it no-longer appears (and I have "cleaned up" after three Windows Updates since it last appeared).
    @Petesmst: Sorry; I missed your post. Letting Scheduled Maintenance run (or running it yourself manually) fixes the problem. Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Security and Maintenance. Click on Maintenance and on the slide-down menu, click on Start Maintenance under Automatic Maintenance. Once it completes, try Cleanmgr again and it won't try to clean up terabytes of data on your disk.

Rob
    Last edited by OldMainframeGuy; 2016-11-30 at 08:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast