5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry I'm finished with BitDefender

I switched to BitDefender a couple years ago because it got good reviews and I was tired of all the "extras" that my old security software kept annoying me with. For the past year, I've been fighting with extras that BitDefender now comes with. That alone was enough to cause me to remove it from my Win10 computer and rely on Defender and MWB, but I kept it on my Win7 machines.

Now, I'm facing a new problem with BitDefender - the program installer and updater has been changed and is now encountering a problem with Group Security registry settings that exist to protect my computer(s) from Cryptolocker and other Trojans. For the past several weeks, I've been exchanging emails with BitDefender support trying to get them to understand that they have essentially adopted an install method that is indistinguishable from that used by one of the most vicious malware programs in the wild.

Their latest email contains instructions on how to remove the entire Microsoft Domain Group Policy branch of the registry? Are they out of their tiny minds? Can they seriously consider it a good idea to remove this entire branch with no idea what might be there? I had a quick check and while the Group Security Settings are there, there are several other things that have nothing to do with this issue.

Well, that's it for BitDefender. I can put an exception for this installer into the registry for now, but when this years subscription is up, it's adios.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-11-09 at 09:37.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-12-02)

Thanks
    Yeah, with different programs, same thing here, dropped many because of the additions, sales pitches, and so on.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Unfortunately many company's are adding extra services etc. to their once simple software that is way more than most of us need. I've used Winzip for years and quit getting their product when they started spamming me to upgrade to their new one that has wayyy more functions than I will ever use.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I could live with the bloat but the fact that they have changed their installers to download and run from %AppData% when this is a route that malware uses makes no sense to me. I have sent them links to numerous articles that discuss this issue and they seem oblivious to the problem.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)