New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer running Win 10 tried booting up in Linux after being shut down on previous evening.

My 2009 HP computer was running Win 10 for about a year after being upgraded from XP. I shut my computer down late one evening when I finished using it. The next evening I started my computer and it opened up in Linux and I was not able to get out of Linux. I shut the computer down 3 or 4 times and when I restarted it each time it opened up in Linux and I was never able to do any thing except force it to shutdown. Has anybody encountered anything like this?

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

JimB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you have a Linux boot CD loaded and is your PC set to check the CD/DVD drive before the HD?
    Joe

Thanks
    Also, check your BIOS boot priority to be sure that its set to boot from the Windows disk first.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do you know it's booting to Linux? Maybe it's booting to the network card because the hard disk has failed.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Need a bit more information. Are you running a dual boot system? Which distribution of Linux? Ubuntu?

Is there a possibility as mentioned above that you left a Linux CD/DVD in the drive or have a thumb drive with Linux plugged in? Many Linux distros have a feature called Live CD that lets you run Linux from the CD/DVD or thumb drive.