iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Three solutions for storing photos online

Digital Imaging

Three solutions for storing photos online

By Tracey Capen

Among the biggest angst many users experience when a drive fails is the loss of photos. It's like having part of your personal and family history torn away.

The cloud is an excellent place to archive images, but it, too, has its hazards. A synching mistake can cause photos to vanish permanently. Or as one Windows Secrets reader reported, your precious image files are suddenly be compressed to a lower resolution.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/three-solutions-for-storing-photos-online/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In my opinion, you must consider JustCloud and DropBox. You can manage large number of photos as they both provide unlimited storage and unique, customize photo storage features that helps you to store every special moment of your life
    More importantly you can invite your friends, family through email, FB, Twitter or even you can provide your own custom link to view and share photos or any other stuff.
    DropBox and even Just Cloud enable photo files and folders collaboration more easy and provide you capacity to share photos and files between users.
    Although you can visit following list of Best Online Photo Storage Services that are also providing quite similar features with variation in pricing plans. So you can choose according to your requirement.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "But on Mobile devices, OneDrive doesn’t have the ability to automatically upload new images."

Yes it does. My OneDrive\Pictures has a subfolder named "Camera Roll" that does just that. I can't remember setting it up, I think I simply clicked on an option to "automatically upload photos". I'm running Android Nougat + Windows 10 if that's relevant.

Thanks
    I can't read the original article, because I'm not a paid subscriber; but here's a way you can store some photos online -- create an account at Walgreens.com, and upload them to there. You can print them at whichever Walgreens you want, and they will sit there forever till you remove them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you please address the imminent shutdown of Panoramio and options for those of us who specifically share photos of places that are then linked to Google Earth. Thanks, RB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize it involves purchasing Amazon Prime for $99/year, but what about Amazon Prime Photos? Unlimited uploads, albeit with a bizarre uploading system.

You can set up folder structures to upload to, but I cannot then find the folders when viewing the photos through the application. You can search by photo date, date uploaded, etc. but it does not show how you organized your upload. But, it is unlimited!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem with storing iPhone & iPad Pictures & Videos in anything other than iCloud is that you lose the numerous detailed sub-folders (i.e. Vacation XX, Vacation YY, Child 1, Child 2, etc., etc.).

Being able to retain those detailed sub-folders makes it waaaayyyy easier to locate a specific picture or video.

Yes, I do know that those detailed sub-folders only point to the original picture or video in the All Photos folder - but it still makes it easier to find specific pictures or videos.

If I have 200 pictures of Vacation XX, all of those pictures are in its detailed sub-folder in iCloud.
    I don't have to wade through every other non-related picture taken on the X number of days of that Vacation XX to find only the pictures related to Vacation XX.

And, of course iCloud syncs them all back to both the iPhone & iPad anytime anything is added, deleted, or changed on any device or in iCloud.

Besides having all of my pictures & videos in iCloud, I also have them in Amazon pictures just as a precaution.
    But, I would hate to ever try to reconstruct my sub-folders if the need ever arises.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2016-11-11 at 10:43.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a small typo: Under Google Photos it says:
    But note: Uncompressed images count against your Google account storage quota; uncompressed images don’t.
    The second "uncompressed" should be "compressed".

Thanks for the useful article - storing my photos in the cloud is something that I am just starting to look at.

patermann

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Most cloud storage systems throw away the date attributes of the original files when you recover images from the cloud. I know that most photos have date info in the exif metadata, but having the original dates on the files makes general housekeeping much more convenient. Did you check this in evaluating the storage options?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how to efficiently delete the 22,000 duplicates I now have on Google Photos?

Google automatically uploaded all photos from my old laptop. I bought a new laptop. I copied all my photos from my external backup drive to the new laptop. Google automatically uploaded all those photos, too!

Now I have 2 of everything! What can I do? Any ideas?

AL