3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since patch KB3200970, CCLeaner deletes all System Restores

My Win10 computer auto-installed KB3200970 yesterday. I rebooted a couple of times and went on with life. Today, I decided to back up my PC, and I use CCleaner (v.5.22.5724) first to remove old System Restore points and clean up. I had 6 System Restores, so I selected the oldest two (and kept the newest 4) and clicked “delete”. CClean removed ALL of my system restores, INCLUDING the one greyed out to keep it from being deleted. All were suddenly gone.

I went to the Start button to type “System Restore” to check to see what Win10 said, but that search didn’t work. A subsequent reboot (my 3rd or 4th since the patch install) brought that function back, but the Restores are gone.

I’ve been using this version of CCleaner for several months, so I know it works. Still, what happened to all of my restores? Since the only change I've made is the patch, I suspect that.

(I placed this question under "Windows 10" because I believe the cause lies here and not with CCleaner.)

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks
    I had the same problem. What happened to your restore points is that the update has apparently turned off System Restore. Go to System Restore and turn it back on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My system restore is on and has been, as far as I know. Still, the points appeared in CCLeaner and then all disappeared when I deleted two.....

Thanks
    It could have been a timing thing, my experience suggests that when W10 installs an upgrade/update that would mean old SR points would break the new build, SR is turned off for a relatively short time after the upgrade/update. Sometime after the necessary reboot, presumably after any other needed background housekeeping is completed, SR is then silently reinstated.

Thanks
    CCleaner (v.5.22.5724)
    Just an observation but v.5.23.5808 CCleaner has been out for awhile now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2016-11-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy95: Yes, I know. I've been using this version for a while w/ no issues. That's how I know that the phenomena was not from CC.

Satrow: Ya know, didn't M/S do that with the big anniversary update? I think I lost all of my System Restores then, but not via CC......

Thanks
    Yes, they did do that with the AU.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow: Can you define and elaborate please?

Thanks
    Not completely, no - exactly when SR is re-enabled post-upgrade/date of W10 probably varies with CPU speed/core#'s and load, storage drive speeds etc, as well as any user software/usage of the PC. With AU I only checked ~ 1', 20' and 120' post-Windows boot, using a 3.3Ghz i3 with SSD, no actively used user software was running. Somewhere between the 20 minute and two hour mark, the bit was flipped, on a slower or faster machine, those results might have been different.

What's currently being reported may be down to a new compatibility issue with CCleaner - but if a recent update triggered a requirement for old SR points to be removed, I'd guess that the SR bit-flipping would probably happen during the same ballpark 20-120' period. It really needs more reports/checks to be made to gauge what might have happened.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy95, hello.
    Gave you a Tks as you woke me up to this new version. The old one was getting flagged as not running on this Insider version 14965.
    Good night. Jean.

Thanks
    Glad it was helpful Jean

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you please define AU?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you please define AU?
    Anniversary Update

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2016-11-12 at 12:53.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    I just ran Ccleaner on my 14965 version of W-10 and my manual restore point is still there from 2 days ago. Ccleaner is the latest version, .5808.
    Different folks ! Keep in mind that a new install WILL delete all RPs, every update here starts with a RP, a Ccleaner run and the old Calculator. That is me !
    Have a great day, you all. Jean.