New Lounger
    Thanks

Limit the font list? (Word 2010, Windows 7)

Hi folks,

My colleague has a bunch of Christmas-themed fonts on her machine. She'd like to just have those fonts show in her font list, or alternatively have them appear at the top of her list. Short of creating a bunch of styles with those fonts in them, what's the best way to accomplish this?

She's a Mac person; she tells me that on her Mac she can create font folders and have that folder appear at the top of the list so the fonts are readily available to her. She's essentially trying to recreate that feature on her Windows machine.

Thanks in advance.

Beej

Thanks
    The fonts are stored in C:\Windows\Fonts. Drag and drop the required True Type fonts into the folder and they'll appear in the fonts list. Remind her not to use them in e-mails or e-documents as the recipient will only be able to read them if he/she has the same fonts already installed

Thanks
    Beej,

You might be able to accomplish this with a macro by creating a dialog that displays only the fonts you specify. But I don't think you can get Word 2010 itself to display fonts in anything but alpha order without a little coding. I believe the best your colleague can hope for from Word is that once she has selected a font, it will display in Recently Used Fonts section of the font drop-down.

Sorry about that. There are reasons a lot of designers use Macs...

Kim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no simple way that I have heard of. I got tired of seeing 100+ fonts when I only use a fraction of them, so just backed up the fonts folder and got rid of most things I don't use.

Just be careful because you may have programs that use some of the fonts that you think you don't use (you can find lists on the internet). And while you can directly remove fonts from the folder, figuring out what's what from the name can be tricky. Control Panel / Fonts may be easier and there are free font manager programs.

Some programs (like Word) will put recently used fonts at the top of the list.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beej@impact View Post
    Hi folks,

My colleague has a bunch of Christmas-themed fonts on her machine. She'd like to just have those fonts show in her font list, or alternatively have them appear at the top of her list. Short of creating a bunch of styles with those fonts in them, what's the best way to accomplish this?

She's a Mac person; she tells me that on her Mac she can create font folders and have that folder appear at the top of the list so the fonts are readily available to her. She's essentially trying to recreate that feature on her Windows machine.

Thanks in advance.

Beej
    A question: Is she using Word for Mac [Office for Mac] 2008 or 2011 on her Mac? Word/Office 2008 for Mac is the equivalent to Word/Office 2007 for Windows and Word/Office 2011 for Mac is the equivalent to Word/Office 2010 for Windows. Both generally operate the same but naturally there are some differences.

If she's using a different word processor it would explain why she is seeing differences.

And I've found both able to use Fonts simply stored in a Folder but for compatibility with others it's best they be installed to increase the chances recipients will have the same ones. In an E-Mail, if the Font used is critical one could attach a copy of the Font for the recipient to install on their machine.

Thanks
    Limit the font list? (Word 2010, Windows 7) Its in the title.
    I've just discovered that there are twelve different trackers on this page.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Limit the font list? (Word 2010, Windows 7) Its in the title.
    I've just discovered that there are twelve different trackers on this page.
    My response was based upon the original part of this thread:
    She's a Mac person; she tells me that on her Mac she can create font folders and have that folder appear at the top of the list so the fonts are readily available to her.
    Not all programs work the same way so it usually is helpful to know what the user has experienced on one computer versus what is desired on the other computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    There's no simple way that I have heard of. I got tired of seeing 100+ fonts when I only use a fraction of them, so just backed up the fonts folder and got rid of most things I don't use.

Just be careful because you may have programs that use some of the fonts that you think you don't use (you can find lists on the internet). And while you can directly remove fonts from the folder, figuring out what's what from the name can be tricky. Control Panel / Fonts may be easier and there are free font manager programs.

Some programs (like Word) will put recently used fonts at the top of the list.
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I would up using this one. Since my colleague works on lots of different projects with different font sets for each, we've created a bunch of font folders on her machine. Depending on the project's needs, she loads the folder with the fonts she wants available.