Thanks

Build 14959.1000 Crashes

Yesterday I imaged Win10 Insider Preview on one of my workbench desktop PCs. After creating the image I re-booted into Win10; after less than two minutes Win10 stopped responding - I could move the mouse cursor, but left or right clicking anything had no effect. I had to force a power-off, then restarted Win10.

After Win10 had finished loading I checked "Administrative Events" in Event Logs. There were about 30 to 40 kernel-related errors listed for the couple of minutes since Win10 had finished loading. So I restored the image I had just made but with the same result. Win10 halted after a couple of minutes, and booting to Win7 resulted in CHKDSK running on all partitions.

So I have restored an image I created 15 October (Build 14946.1000) which seems stable so far.

And booting into Win7 doesn't cause CHKDSK to run on all partitions.

EDIT
    Have since checked "Administrative Events" in Event Logs to find 50+ "EventID 28" errors, all within a few minutes of Win10 starting up. As stated above, this is Build 14946.1000, which seems a bit odd as I hadn't noticed such during the time after creating the 15 October image and 4 November when the 14959.1000 upgrade installed.

SFC /SCANNOW scan finished w/o any errors and reported "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

Ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth which reported "The restore operation completed successfully".

AdminEvents.jpg

EDIT2
    After some Googling for "Event ID 28" didn't really produce anything useful I decided to start again and clean-installed Build 14393.0 on a spare HDD then copied the partition to the PC's SSD.

No more "Event ID 28" errors, but I've got a bit of setting up to do.

EDIT3
    Windows Update kicked in while I was installing a few programs, and downloaded about five updates, two of which seem to be newer "Builds". They didn't take very long to download (less than 30 minutes), but it sat on "installing updates" for about 20 minutes before asking for a restart.

After I clicked "Restart now" it sat on
    GettingWindowsReady.JPG
    "Getting Windows ready"
    "Don't turn off your computer"
    for about another 30 minutes, then after a restart sat on "Working on updates..." for a further ten minutes or-so then after another restart it went into Win10.

Win10 is now Build 14393.447 so it has a bit of catching up to do, but at least it seems stable.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-11-12 at 02:46. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Try running a clean boot on the crashing systems.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have since extracted the build 14959.1000 "install.esd" file from the Terabyte "Image for DOS" image I created on 12 November 2016 and used "ESDtoISO" to generate an ISO file, burnt the ISO to DVD, and performed a clean-install to a spare HDD.

"ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File": http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-esd-file.html

If anything there even more kernel-related errors listed in the Event Logs (50-60) after Win10's Desktop displays:
    AdminEvents.PNG
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.