Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I stop info from being sent to Microsoft?

When I recently checked my reliability monitor, I found an error that said my Pale Moon browser had stopped working (this problem keeps repeating, even resetting the reliability monitor, and I will address this in a new thread under browsers).
    When I view the problem details, I notice under "Status" that a report has been sent (I assume to Microsoft).
    I would like to change my settings so that no reports are ever sent to MS, but I don't know how to do that.

Can you help?

Thanks
    The easiest way to control W10's information gathering is to use O&O ShutUp. It brings all of the settings together in one place.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._shutup10.html

Thanks
    I agree! The link to the original website is https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    There's also "Spybot Anti-Beacon" https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I've been using Spybot Anti-Beacon on all three computers for awhile now; and while I thought I had to uninstall it or dial it back from time to time to solve a specific hiccup, generally it's running full tilt and I seem to have no problems with the computers.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Just bear in mind that Spybot Anti-Beacon hasn't been updated for just over a year. Conversely, O&O ShutUp10 was updated at the beginning of this month to take the Anniversary Update into account.

Hope this helps...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. However, please note that this thread was posted in the Win 7 forum, and the replies appear to be addressing Win 10.

In any case, I'd prefer to use an option that's available in Win 7 (does such an option exist?) rather than another app to handle the problem.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    That is very true - the problem has become even greater in Windows 10, so that is where most work has been done.

See if this article is of any help for Windows 7.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-11-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, BATcher. I looked at it (and some others I found during my research).
    I verified that the following updates were not installed on my system:
    KB3022345, KB3068708, KB3075249, KB3080149.
    I also disabled the Diagnostics Tracking Service, although I'm not sure that the Reliability Monitor will still receive information without that service. I still want the Reliability Monitor to track errors, I just don't want the information to be sent to Microsoft (or anywhere else, for that matter). Guess I'll have to run some tests.

Thanks
    Windows 7? Ok, I still recommend Spybot Anti-Beacon, which not only watched for various telemetry operations, it also watched for Windows 10's hello I'm available messages. If Windows 7 has not had its telemetry operations changed very much, perhaps there is no need for monthly updates -- that's only my opinion, that and $4.50 will buy you a Starbucks coffee.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    When I view the problem details, I notice under "Status" that a report has been sent (I assume to Microsoft).
    I would like to change my settings so that no reports are ever sent to MS, but I don't know how to do that.
    Any information that was sent regarding your Pale Moon browser would have been sent to www.palemoon.org, not to Microsoft. You might want to check the Pale Moon browser's configuration options - there may be one to turn the feature off.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland, thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the description of Anti-Beacon, and at first glance, I could possibly accomplish most of what it does by manually adjusting some services (?). However, if macropod is correct, this may not be an issue.

macropod, that's an interesting suggestion. I looked at all of my Pale Moon settings (Tools/Options), but I can't see anything that would control this "feature." Assuming that your theory is correct, any idea where the setting for this would reside? I'm heading over to the Pale Moon forum to see if they can help.

Thanks
    No, nothing is sent back to Pale Moon. Reliability Monitor uses MS reporting, the best you could hope for there with a 3rd party non-mainstream software would be some kind of compatibility modification or patch, should MS consider that they may be at fault.

Les, have you followed up on my reply in your Pale Moon topic yet?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, I did, and just posted the results in that forum. Thanks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LesF For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-11-13)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I looked at all of my Pale Moon settings (Tools/Options), but I can't see anything that would control this "feature." Assuming that your theory is correct, any idea where the setting for this would reside?
    Some apps have an installation option for you to opt in/out (usually 'out', with 'in' as the default) to reporting the app's performance back to the developers. I haven't used Pale Moon, so I can't comment on whether its installation software has such a feature or if there's an option buried somewhere else in the installed app.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast