4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Pale Moon browser keeps generating errors in Reliability Monitor

Win 7 Pro, SP-1.

I use Pale Moon 32-bit, latest version as my default browser.

Lately, I notice that the browser generates an error message in Reliability Monitor stating that the browser stopped working. This error repeats even after resetting the reliability monitor. I am not aware that the browser ever stopped working, and I suspect that the error message is generated even when the browser is closed (although I don't know how that's possible).

Here's the information I get on the error:

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: palemoon.exe
    Application Version: 26.5.0.6110
    Application Timestamp: 57e592eb
    Fault Module Name: mozjs.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 57e57e13
    Exception Code: 80000003
    Exception Offset: 000d5506
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have uninstalled Pale Moon, and then did a re-install, but that didn't help.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Thanks
    If you're not noticing anything, it might not be a problem (usually).

At a guess, it's happening at a specific point during each session, prime time would be on close - any new non- mainstream software will be checked very closely by any good AV. On close, Pale Moon (and Firefox etc.) writes files (history, window/site settings, etc.) back to the Profile folder, that would be my first check: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13211

Start a Pale Moon session, use it for a time as normal and then end it, wait 10-15 minutes (use another browser, play Solitaire... ) before rebooting and then checking Reliability Monitor for the time of the last report.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

LesF (2016-11-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, I did what you suggested. This resulted in no error message, so I tried something different.

I turned the computer off without properly shutting down Windows, to intentionally generate an error message, and noted the time. Nothing showed up in Reliability Monitor.

Some time later, I repeated this process. Again, nothing showed up.

About 20 minutes later, both error messages showed up in RM, with the appropriate times. But no indication that any of these messages were sent anywhere.

I cleared the Reliability Monitor data, and all looked good (no error indications).

However, some time later (within the hour), the same error messages re-appeared in RM. So, as far as I can tell, "clearing" the RM data did not really delete it, and it came back on the next RM refresh.

So I cleared it again, and so far (a few hours), no error messages.

I am currently running with the Diagnostic Tracking Service disabled, which apparently does not affect the collection of error data (as it was disabled before I tried the above tests), but hopefully will prevent sending this data anywhere but to the Reliability Monitor.

Thanks
    Okay, Les. Keep notes on when you open/close Pale Moon over a few days, until you can check the times against those of RM.

Like I said earlier, I have a feeling that it's an over zealous security software preventing PM from saving your session details and exiting gracefully.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for your help, satrow.

Thanks

What I'd like is times when the 'error' is logged against your times of when PM was started/exited. Details of your AV/Security software as well. Then I'll, hopefully, know a little more about what's happening and be able to tell you what needs to be done to prevent/workaround it.

For an example of the potential AV/Security issues that might be behind this: With my usual AV, Avast Free (I use a very slim install of this, File System Shield only), by default it whitelists/excludes Firefox' sessionstore.js file, the main file that's refreshed on close. It doesn't do the same for PM's sessionstore file - so I add it:

PaleMoonAVExclusion.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, satrow.

I can't provide you with the error times vs. PM start times until the error occurs again.

As noted above (post #3), I'm currently running with the Diagnostic Tracking Service disabled. I don't know if this will prevent sending error data to MS, but it apparently still allows Reliability Monitor to collect the error data. Is this a smart thing to do?

I also use Avast Free, but I have File System and Web shields active (no others).
    I'm attaching a screen shot showing my Avast file system exclusions. As you've noted, PM's sessionstore file is not listed by default. Do you think I should I add it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hmm, given the limited number of times I've witnessed anything useful returned by MS through the RM logs (1 time only), I'd suggest that you keep the setting as is. You know how to turn reporting back on should you need to, yes?

Yes, I do think you should add the exclusion, Les. As well as helping to ensure that Pale Moon is closed in a timely fashion and adding needless error logs, it should also prevent the failure to update issue that the OP in the topic linked in #2 here was querying.