Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD-RW erasing problem.

Hi to all,

I use Memorex DVD-RW's to record programs from TV to watch at a later time and erase them after watching so they are ready for the next use. From time to time I have a problem when I try to erase a disc. I get a 'There was a problem erasing this disc' notification and when I then try to Format it I get a 'Windows was unable to complete the format'. It evidently indicates that something is corrupted but the disc played normally up to that time. I have 2 DVD recording units in my computer and it happens in both of them. Sometimes the erasing will complete and if I check the disc properties it will show a grey circle indicating that the disc is empty and ready to be recorded again but fails to open when I try to use it to record another program and I miss recording the show.
    Is there any program in Windows 10 that can repair DVD-RW discs or any software or procedures I can use to insure that the discs are erased and capable of being recorded? Thank You, Respectfully, GG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphics Guy View Post
    Hi to all,

I use Memorex DVD-RW's to record programs from TV to watch at a later time and erase them after watching so they are ready for the next use. From time to time I have a problem when I try to erase a disc. I get a 'There was a problem erasing this disc' notification and when I then try to Format it I get a 'Windows was unable to complete the format'. It evidently indicates that something is corrupted but the disc played normally up to that time. I have 2 DVD recording units in my computer and it happens in both of them. Sometimes the erasing will complete and if I check the disc properties it will show a grey circle indicating that the disc is empty and ready to be recorded again but fails to open when I try to use it to record another program and I miss recording the show.
    Is there any program in Windows 10 that can repair DVD-RW discs or any software or procedures I can use to insure that the discs are erased and capable of being recorded? Thank You, Respectfully, GG
    Because of variations between hardware I only use the DVD-R or DVD+R discs. I get them in a 100-piece cakebox at about 28 to 30 cents US per disc, actually a bit cheaper than the old floppy disks were. Nearly always I want to save such movies for perusing again later on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2016-11-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Berton,

Thank you for the reply. I also buy the DVD+R discs in the 100 disc cakebox and use them for anything I think I might want to keep. Office Depot just had them for sale and I picked up another 200 discs last week. When 2 shows that I want to watch are on opposite of each other I use the DVD-RW discs for the general recording of one of the shows and then erase it after watching. There aren't many shows on anymore that I want to see more than once. Respectfully, GG

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How many times have you reused the failing DVD-RW discs? (They don't last forever of course.)
    Have you tried cleaning the problematic discs before trying to format? Fingerprints and/or dust are sometimes at fault.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never used -RW discs, but does it not overwrite any existing data without the need to format first ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RockE,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I've never counted them but would estimate I have between 150 to 200 RW discs and I alternate them so they are never used in succession. At one time I tried marking each disc with the number of times it had been used but found it was a nuisance when I read that each one is designed to last at least 100 times. I have a disc cleaner but rarely use it so that might be something I start using again. Thanks, Respectfully, GG

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,
    Thank you for the reply.
    You are correct, the RW disks are suppose to automatically format and overwrite the previous recording but since I was having a problem of some discs not working correctly I started to erase them before putting them away so I could tell if the disc was going to possibly give me any trouble. Respectfully, GG

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Graphics Guy For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2016-11-13)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the UK we tend to use either Freeview+ boxes which have their own HDD to record programs on or the Sky tv subscription company boxes where you can do the same plus a lot more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi GG, have you tried erasing the discs in the machine you use for recording????
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Comcast, my provider also offers a recordable box for $10 or $15 a month. I have 3 VHS/DVD combination recorders installed in my Entertainment wall and 3 computers that I download programs from the internet via PlayOn and record on the DVD-RW's, and I seldom find a program that I want to view more than once. If I do then I just copy from the RW to a standard DVD+R disc. I can't justify the additional expense of giving Comcast more money. Respectfully, GG

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,
    Thank you for the reply.
    As I mentioned previously to Sudo15 I have many DVD recording devices so I normally erase the discs in my main DELL desktop computer where I can sit comfortably at my desk. It has 2 DVD modules and I use both for erasing. I also have another DELL desktop available in the house that also has 2 DVD modules that gives me the same results.
    Please understand, most of the times the RW discs erase properly, it is only occasionally that I find one that is corrupted - for lack of a better term and will not erase properly.
    If I try to record a program with one of these discs I end up with no recording. There are all kinds of programs on the internet that advertise they will fix your Win8 or Win10 computer if it goes wonky, I was just wondering if there was something similar for DVD discs. Thanks again. Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphics Guy View Post
    Hi Roderunner,
    Thank you for the reply.
    If any dvd-/+rw of mine gives trouble I ditch it & use another.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to use a CD-RW disk a few years back. IIRC it proved to be twitchy too and eventually I abandoned the RW disks.

Thanks
    I also would begin to have problems with my DVD-RW, after a few times, the songs or speeches, from youtube-mp4s-converted-into-mp3s] would have quick "burps" or skips during playback in the car player or in the in-house boombox. Also tried quick-erase and full-erase, made no difference.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    If any dvd-/+rw of mine gives trouble I ditch it & use another.
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I used to use a CD-RW disk a few years back. IIRC it proved to be twitchy too and eventually I abandoned the RW disks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I also would begin to have problems with my DVD-RW, after a few times
    Same experience here, abandoned RW [both CD and DVD] after maybe a year of futzing with it, and used only Rs which were quite reliable and fairly affordable.

I don't think I've recorded to disc this decade, it's all HD and flash drive for me. HD dirt-cheap per MB and holds 1000s, flash for mobile, both much more reliable than discs can ever be.

GG it may simply be the people around you are not as careful about handling your discs as you are--I know the people around me aren't. A few discs will succumb to careless treatment.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast