Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repairing unplugged USB drive

I have a 2 TB USB drive, and when I last plugged it in, the PC (Windows 7) said "You need to format the drive before you can use it." It appears that the drive was accidentally unplugged without being properly dismounted. I gather that something on the drive has become corrupted but that it may be possible to recover it without formatting the drive and losing the data on it. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks
    Exactly what make and model is this drive? I'm familiar with platter-driven drives, not hybrids or other kinds. If platter-driven, you might possibly have a chance using something like MiniTool Partition Wizard and/or MiniTool Power Data Recovery, free versions will be just fine for now. Going forward, no more accidental disconnects, such can permanently shut one out of the data folders and files if a write operation was in progress.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. The drive is a Seagate model SRD00F2, PN:1D7AP2-500 2 TB.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Plug it in but do NOT format it.
    Fire up Disk Management and see what it thinks is on the disk.
    You may have to use one of the disk recovery programs.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. Windows Disk Management reports as follows. (It is listed as E:, Disk 2, 1863 GB.)
    - Layout: Simple
    - Type : Basic
    - File System: RAW
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2016-11-13 at 03:08.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RAW means Windows thinks its unformatted.
    If you want the data back you will need to try disk / format recovery software.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I was hoping someone could recommend a reliable/reputable (preferably free) disk recovery program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's this one but I don't know what you would get with the free Windows version - normally these types of programs will show you what needs doing, but you have to buy to execute.

http://www.easeus.com/ad/raw-drive-r...FZQV0wodaOEJcg

Thanks
    MiniTools Partition Magic and MiniTools Power Data Recovery, both free, can help you recover the recoverable up to 1GB for free. To get more than 1GB recoverable recovered, you have to pay for the MiniTools Power Data Recovery.
    When I use the word "recoverable" -- I meant exactly that. Not every file within every data folder can be recovered. Depends upon what has been done to that data area.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes running the command prompt to convert the drive from fat 32 to NTFS fixes a raw drive.
    joe

Thanks
    I would guess that if your suggestion actually runs it would run the risk of screwing up the contents of the disk beyond recovery.

Easeus' How to Convert/Change RAW File System to NTFS without Data Loss might be worth a very careful inspection. It leads to "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free 10.8".
    (I suspect my link is very similar to Sudo15's in post #8.)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    The MiniTools software suggested above is good. Another one I've used is Recuva, also free.

A good one, but not free, is GetDataBack. (but I think it has a free trial to see if it can find your files).
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-11-13 at 15:39.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up using the TestDisk program to fix the problem, as described here.
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-you-need...er-usb-unplug/

The TestDisk program found and restored the inaccessible partition, and I was able to access everything on the drive again; however, there appeared to be a user permission issue. (This probably arose when I ran chkdsk at one point, which said that it reset something on all the drive contents.)

Disk Management lists the drive OK (Volume = "Seagate Expansion Drive E:", Layout = Simple, Type = Basic, File System = NTFS, Status = "Healthy, Active, Primary Partition"), with the correct size, and a disk check reported no errors on the drive, and I could access everything on the drive OK in Windows Explorer with Windows in safe mode, or in Command Prompt as an administrator with Windows in normal mode; the only issue was that I could not access the drive as an ordinary user with Windows in normal mode, so this appeared to be only a security settings issue. (This probably arose when I ran chkdsk, which said that it reset something on all the drive contents.)

I tried the following commands in Command Prompt as an administrator.

takeown /f e:\* /a /r /d y
    (My understanding is that this gives ownership of everything to the administrators group, and it ran successfully.)

icacls e:\* /grant users:F /t /q
    (My understanding is that gives full access to the users group, and it ran successfully.)

Now I can access everything OK as before.

However, is there a way to reset the user permissions to a clean default setting, to avoid any further issues?
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2016-11-15 at 23:52.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There are no "clean default settings", you get what was set for each user.
    Taking ownership is the recognised method of granting you access and allows you to change the permissions as required.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For Users(Computer name)\Users on my external HDD I only have permissions for Read & execute, List Folder contents and Read, so yours sounds about right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast