New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Maintenance Windows Server 2012r2

Hallo everyone ...
    I got a job for the maintenance of the server, what action is good that the optimal server performance and security ?

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is a very large subject and won't be covered in one answer - or five.

Hardware / Software
    The starting point is to have the hardware in a temperature controlled secure room.
    Then install and test the hardware monitoring software provided by the manufacturer. This gives you early (we hope) warning of problems.
    Next you need to monitor Windows for any of the multitude of problems that may occur, disk space, user account lockout, disk corruption etc.
    You also need to monitor your applications, e.g. SQL Server database health, Exchange database health.
    Finally (maybe this should be first) you need a reliable, monitored backup.

For smaller installations I use HostMonitor for server / app monitoring - it's well priced, flexible and reliable.

Security
    This is a thread in its own right and depends on your configuration.
    The basic starting point is the server should never have internet access because installing bad things on your server will get you sacked. Use a PC to download / virus check / test software first.

Can you tell us your basic set up and we'll try to be more specific.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This is a very large subject and won't be covered in one answer - or five.

Hardware / Software
    The starting point is to have the hardware in a temperature controlled secure room.
    Then install and test the hardware monitoring software provided by the manufacturer. This gives you early (we hope) warning of problems.
    Next you need to monitor Windows for any of the multitude of problems that may occur, disk space, user account lockout, disk corruption etc.
    You also need to monitor your applications, e.g. SQL Server database health, Exchange database health.
    Finally (maybe this should be first) you need a reliable, monitored backup.

For smaller installations I use HostMonitor for server / app monitoring - it's well priced, flexible and reliable.

Security
    This is a thread in its own right and depends on your configuration.
    The basic starting point is the server should never have internet access because installing bad things on your server will get you sacked. Use a PC to download / virus check / test software first.

Can you tell us your basic set up and we'll try to be more specific.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for suggestions

All of which are above, it's already done, but i don't understand for report (report engineer). haha

More Specific, on RAID, Firewall, Web Server. I don't quite understand.

what a suggesstion do you have for a firewall settings ? (for a little safe).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I could spend a week describing what you need to do so we need more specific questions from you. Tell us what monitoring you have, what access you require to the internet etc.

Servers don't really need firewalls, you use a proper edge router / firewall to limit access to your network. This also serves as a DDOS defence.

cheers, Paul