New Lounger
    Thanks

How can I go from v1507 to v1511 without going to v1607?

I built a new computer, and installed windows 10 Pro v1507 a few months ago. I got it updated to version 1511, and all was fine. I was concerned about version 1607, so I blocked its installation until a few weeks ago, when I figured it might be safe, After the upgrade to 1607, I lost my wi-fi, and tried a number of things to try to get it working again, including the network reset function in 1607. It would work, but on reboot, it would fail again. Giving up, I wanted to roll back to 1511, so I selected a “revert to previous version” option in the troubleshooting section, thinking it would open the restore points table. Instead it installed version 1507. I would like to get version 1511 back, but it seems like any upgrade options take me to the newest version, 1607, instead (part of the cumulative update strategy?) of giving me a choice. I have an iso file for 1511, but I’m concerned that installing it will clobber my other installed programs. Is there any way that I can safely get back just to 1511?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try doing a repair install with the 1511 ISO if it will accept it which won't affect your programs, but check the box not to search for updates during the process, although you will need to be quick to block 1607 before the AU and subsequent updates start downloading.

You haven't said how you lost your WiFi - did the Wifi adapter go missing from Device Manager or was it a driver problem ?

If the adapter went missing then the elevated command netcfg -d can restore it.

If it was driver related, then going to Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters - right click on the wireless one and select Properties and under the driver tab, check the date of the driver.

Go back and right click on it again then on Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick... then check to see if 1607 had installed a later driver or if there is a choice of drivers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 - thanks. My recollection is that the adapter wasn't missing, just that no networks were detected. When I looked at the adapter in Device Manager, the "General" tab said that no driver was installed. However, the "Driver" tab showed that the proper driver was indeed installed. I probably should have done a driver uninstall/reinstall, but I just gave up instead, and reverted back to 1507. I have enough suggestions now that maybe I'll take another whack at 1607. If I continue to have problems, I'll be back. Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well - Good Luck

I haven't received an email notification of your reply yet, but they do tend to take their time, although it's only about 3¼hrs since you posted.