New Lounger
    Thanks

Software to OCR insurance cards

I am trying to find software that will OCR the text from an insurance card. I have a PenPower Pro scanner, but the business card scanning software included does a horrible job on insurance cards (I'm a medical professional). I used to use the OCR included in Office 2007, but it no longer functions properly in W10. I've tried a couple of free options, with inadequate results, but I'm unwilling to spend hundreds on a program that may or may not do the job.

This is pretty simple stuff- I just want an image of the card, and the ability to select and paste the ID numbers into my main program (to eliminate transcription errors). Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried the native scanning in Windows 10?

You could also try Office Lens. Works on a PC or a smartphone. Look in the Store.
    Joe

Thanks
    Plastic cards? Maybe setting to greyscale and adjusting settings might suffice.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd be real interested in finding the native OCR in Windows 10! I have used the Scan app, which gives me the picture but no OCR. I have tried Office Lens, and can't figure how to get it to OCR- in addition, it seems to work only with the camera, not a scanner. Similarly I had been told that One Note does OCR, and it works fine with previously acquired PDFs, but has no way to scan into the app (that I can find).

Seems this should be way simpler than it turns out to be.

Administrator
    Thanks
    With Office Lens you can take a picture and have it turned into a Word document. You can also import previously taken pictures.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I import a card into Lens, then save it as a Word document, it 'sort of' gives me a document that I can copy and paste- it misses some aspects of the card altogether, does not preserve case for letters in the ID. If I import a picture into One Note, supposedly I can right click and paste text, but that doesn't happen.

It's also way too cumbersome to do the process: Scan, then import into Lens, then save to Word- each step takes tens of seconds rather than the Scan-Copy I could do with Share Point Designer Microsoft Office Document Imaging. Not great for a busy office. Thought maybe I could go back to Office Document Imaging- it comes with what is now a free download with Share Point Designer 2007- but after install it throws an error and closes before scanning. Frustrating.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried the software listed in this "review"?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-f...-into-text-nb/

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've taken pictures of several printed docs with Office Lens, saved them as Word documents, and edited them later. Too bad that won't work for you.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbenson View Post
    I'd be real interested in finding the native OCR in Windows 10! I have used the Scan app, which gives me the picture but no OCR.
    I do not believe it exists, but if it did it would likely send your image to the cloud to dissect and perhaps disseminate. As a medical professional, if in the USA you certainly want to avoid HIPPA compliance problems.
    Last edited by wavy; 2016-11-17 at 14:37.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent point, wavy. I've given up on trying to get Windows / Office to do the deed, now looking into some free OCR software as suggested above. No way I can use anything that will be communicating with the mothership.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a go with Irfanview (excellent free picture viewer) with the Kadmos free OCR plugin found at http://irfanview.info/plugins/kadmos/

I have only just tried it, and can't vouch for its accuracy. Irfanview may even be able to talk to the scanner directly.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2016-11-20 at 06:06.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbenson View Post
    I am trying to find software that will OCR the text from an insurance card. I have a PenPower Pro scanner, but the business card scanning software included does a horrible job on insurance cards (I'm a medical professional). I used to use the OCR included in Office 2007, but it no longer functions properly in W10. I've tried a couple of free options, with inadequate results, but I'm unwilling to spend hundreds on a program that may or may not do the job.

This is pretty simple stuff- I just want an image of the card, and the ability to select and paste the ID numbers into my main program (to eliminate transcription errors). Suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I suggest you contact the issuer and ask what they recommend as the most convenient way of transcribing it. You are attempting to do the very thing the security measures incorporated in the card are designed to defeat.