iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Tech wish list: A few of my favorite things

Best Hardware

Tech wish list: A few of my favorite things

By Michael Lasky

The sundry gadgets, gizmos, and PC accessories reviewed below make up my personal technology wish list; but they should also appeal to almost any PC aficionado.

From a high-end but lightweight notebook, to a device that adds touchscreen capabilities, to USB-C hubs and docks, these products will enhance your computing productivity. They make great gifts for friends and family and for you.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-hardware/tech-wish-list-a-few-of-my-favorite-things/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Dell XPS 13

Thinner! Lighter! More powerful!?

The 4 interfaces for connectivity on the XPS include two USB and one Thunderbolt plus a headset jack. Sure, the modern interfaces (in addition to USB-C) can do anything - with the appropriate dongle or dock. So you get a 3-pound computer that requires a bag full of accessories and access to external power to be anything more than a high-priced, overpowered tablet.

Admittedly, my needs are different from the a typical user, but I am carefully hoarding my 8-year-old sub-3-pound netbook that has onboard ethernet and VGA ports. Without worrying about leaving behind a $10-$50 cable, I can wander all over a client's office testing wired and wireless connectivity and connect to most but the newest, cheapest displays. All I wish for is a physical WiFi cutout so I could be assured I'm only checking the ethernet jack.

And testing an XPS with a Netflix binge is like testing a Porche in a crowded parking lot. Would you choose it to edit your column in the doctor's waiting room or prepare a photo portfolio on the plane?