Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2013\2016 - saving window size with file

Is there a way to save Excel 2013 and Excel 2016 files so they will open in the same size window in which they were saved, every time?

We just moved from Excel 2010 to Excel 2013 (Windows 7) and soon will move to Excel 2016 (Windows 10).

With Excel 2010 I could size a window to fit the content, save it, and then whenever the file was opened it would always open in a window of the same size as I saved it, no matter who opened it. (Same size adjusted for screen size, resolution, etc.)

Excel 2013 does not behave this way. In our environment most of the time Excel 2013 opens in a window that is about 75% of the width of the screen and about 75% of the height of the screen regardless of the content or the size of the window when the file was saved. Occasionally it will open a time or two with the window at the same size as it was when the file was saved but it always reverts to the 75% x 75% format.

This 75% x 75% format is also the size that Excel 2013 opens empty by default.

There doesn't seem to be any relationship in window size between the last time Excel 2013 was closed and the next time it is opened.

I have searched plenty, have found lots of complaints about this behavior, have seen many workarounds which may work for some people but not others, but I have found nothing that consistently and permanently fixes this problem for us.

Has anyone found a way to make window size stick when saving an Excel 2013\2016 file?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

Are you asking about opening the excel file on the same PC it was saved, or, as I suspect, are you asking about keeping the excel window size the same when it is opened on any other PC?

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

..so, what you are asking for is an autostart vba routine for the workbook open event that would set the window size for the Excel Application, to display that particular workbook at a specified size.

This can be done of course.

zeddy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi gg..

As you know, different Users may set their Excel Application windows to 'different' sizes.
    Some Users like to have it 'full-screen'
    Others may have dual-screens, and prefer to set their own 'window-size'.
    So, to show a particular workbook in a 'view' that you want, you can have the workbook open event capture the User's existing Excel window settings, then impose your settings, and then, on workbook close have the User's original settings restored.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    zeddy - Thanks for your detailed responses. VBA\macros are a touchy subject here so I am hoping for a baked in solution or a solution that involves the proper combination of Excel settings. But I will pass your suggestion along to our VBA\macro police to see what they say.

Thanks!

Thanks
    ggeinec,

Try making changes to the default template by opening a blank sheet and manually dragging the size of the workbook to the edges of the screen. Close and then re-open a new blank workbook. If it works, repeat the process for existing spreadsheets if the continue to open less than full screen.

HTH,
    Maud

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maudibe - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that works only for re-opening an empty file. Once I do anything to the file and save it the file reverts to opening with the 75% x 75% format.

Thanks
    ggeinec,

In that case, I would create a new Excel template. First you need to find your XLSTART folder. Open windows explorer and do a search for XLSTART starting at the C drive. Remember this path. On my laptop running Excel 2013 and Win 7, my XLSTART path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\XLSTART.

Open a blank Excel workbook and expand it to full screen. Make any other changes you would like to have as a default then File > Save As > Browse. In the browse window, the default name Book1 should populate the File name box. Change it to just Book. From the Save as Type drop down, select Excel Template (*.xltx). Now navigate to the XLSTART folder you found above and save the template.

Whenever you start Excel it should open with the Book.xltx template and maximized. At any time, you can delete the template from the XLSTART folder or modify then overwrite if you like.

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2016-11-19 at 09:43.