Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install Security Monthly Quality Rollup

I seem to be able to install all Win7 64-bit updates except for the Monthly Quality Rollup updates such as:

November, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems ( (KB3197868)

The update seems to install, but when I reboot, I get a "rolling back" message from the startup screen. This does not happen on my work computer, with the same security programs (Norton 360, CryptoPrevent, WinPatrol, Spyware Blaster, GWX Control Panel).

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Update history, right click on the failed update and select View details and that will give you an error code to work on.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's error code 80004005; MS is no help directly. Google reveals many threads, some dealing with WIN10 installation issues. I have tried the following:
    1) run sfc /scannow - no problems
    2) Downloaded the offline installer - same result
    3) Tried the offline installer while disconnected from the internet - same answer
    I see that I'm now not able to install the quality rollups, nor the Preview to the QRs.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance,

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you've found, that error is a bit of an obscure code, but generally any code ending in 05 is an Access Denied.

I've never been a fan of CryptoPrevent but open Norton 360 - click on Settings then on Antivirus and turn off Auto Protect by clicking on it.

Click on Apply and then select Never from the dropdown and click Apply.

Do the same for Smart Firewall under the Firewall section and then retry the install, but first check to see that you have KB3197867 installed.

(You may need to uninstall CryptoPrevent to eliminate that as well).

You can check this by going to Installed Updates and then type that KB into the top right search box.

If you don't have it then direct download from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=KB3197867

Select the 2nd one from the bottom.

You can restore Norton 360 by opening it and clicking on the Fix now button.

If it still reverts then let's see if we can clear things out a bit.

Go Start - type disk cleanup then right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator.

This will scan the WinSxS folder for obsolete updates of which one may be the cause of the failure.

When it has completed, reboot a couple of times for Windows to reconfigure the updates then go Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter or copy & paste these commands to the Command Prompt.

If you copy & paste them then they will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter exit to close the cmd window.

The SoftwareDistribution cmd will clear the update history but will not affect the installed updates.

If it's still a no go, see what the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) finds.

This is a 500MB download and can hang on checking your computer for updates but when complete, it will produce a log which can be found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad which you can copy & paste into the reply box - but I don't guarantee to be able to understand it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=20858

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Zig (2016-11-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15

Indeed, I did NOT have KB3197867 installed, nor did I have record of it being offered (I was out of the country at that time, and perhaps it was superseded). I installed it using the standalone installer, but still couldn't install KB3197868.

I used the Disk Cleanup tool to get rid of update files, and rebooted - back in the same "reverting windows" loop.

I checked Disk Cleanup again, and found that updates were still present (now 1+ GB, instead of 2+ GB); I ran the tool again, getting them down to 90 MB. I ran the tool a 3rd time and thy were gone. Restarting, I was in the same "reverting" loop, even though I hadn't tried to install the update again.

Next, to CMD. I ran the commands you gave me (didn't know you could copy & paste into CMD, because I'd always tried ctrl-C & ctrl-V), but I'm still in the "reverting" loop.

I've D/Led the SURT & will run it soon; we'll see if it can sort things out.

Thanks again,
    Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2016-11-19 at 18:18.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I ran the SURT, and the log is attached; I doubt you'll have trouble figuring it out.

I then tried to install 868 from the download, but still no success (forgot to turn off Norton & CryptoPrevent though -
    they were both running on my office machine). Same result.
    Not sure of where to go from here, except to try the install again without Norton & CP.

Awaiting further wisdom,
    Zig
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you boot up into the advanced boot options, select Repair your computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt and then enter -

(You can usually get into the advanced boot options by tapping F8 as you switch on, but that key/method can differ with different makes of computer).

dism.exe /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Note there is a space before each /

This cmd should stop the loop.

Enter exit to close the cmd window then Restart.

If you still have the loop after the restart then shutdown, remove all power sources and hold the power button in for ~30secs then switch back on.

Have you tried the install with Norton 360 disabled and CryptoPrevent uninstalled.

The reason I'm not a fan of CryptoPrevent is because it takes over your computer.

EDIT - Just seen your last post regarding Norton and CP.

Checksur not reporting any errors takes us back to something blocking the install.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-11-19 at 18:53.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Zig (2016-11-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo,

I'm not sure if I should go ahead with the DSIM, as the SURT showed no errors. In any event, I tried the M$ Update Troubleshhoter, which seemed to find (and fix) several problems:
    UpdateFix.JPG
    However, the result was the same, this time with Norton turned off. I can do it again with CP turned off as well, later.

(I understand your misgivings about CP, but I'm used to running an administrator account with UAC turned off, so this adds a modicum of backstopping. I've had few problems with it once I've whitelisted Spotify, NirUtils, Skype & SysInternals.) Been thinking about the MalwareBytes antiransomware tool or the WinPatrol antiransomware tool, though.

Still hoping,
    Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Has the loop stopped ?

The dism cmd only deals with that and not update problems.

That troubleshooter isn't much good as it tends to report that it has fixed things but not the original problem.

I'm off to roost now as it's after 1:00am here in the UK.

Thanks
    If you do need to rule out your security software, download the SymNRT before starting the following routine:

Turn CryptoPrevent back on, undo all the changes previously made, reboot and test again. With Norton you'll need to fully uninstall it: shutdown, then boot into Safe Mode, run the (live link ->SymNRT tool<- live link) and shutdown.

Startup in normal mode, check that Defender and the firewall are active and test again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The loop stopped by itself - a good thing as Repair you computer is not an option under F8; I'd have to boot from an install disc to get to it.

Satrow - I doubt it's the security software, as the same are running on my office computer; I'll consider uninstalling Norton later.

(honored to have two of the "big guns" helping me out here.)

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2016-11-20 at 01:08.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I've just been firing blanks so far

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    ...I'm used to running an administrator account with UAC turned off...
    I have attended too many customers who were having serious problems caused mainly by their having disabled UAC; one thing to turn UAC off temporarily, quite another to disable UAC permanently even if you're an advanced user.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all,

I'm moving my home office today, so won't be able to try anything else out for a day or so. All suggestions welcome.

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    To all,

I'm moving my home office today, so won't be able to try anything else out for a day or so. All suggestions welcome.

Zig
    Okay.

I use Norton Security and have experienced it blocking one website download on one machine while not on another, so it doesn't necessarily follow that because things are okay with Norton on one machine that it will be okay on another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast