Lounger
    Thanks

Dirty bit/chkdsk...

I searched the windows 7 forum for dirty bit and chkdsk and found nothing so can someone knowledgeable please help? My friend's pc (windows 7 home premium 64 bit) keeps running chkdsk at every boot. However, it keeps saying every time that it can't run and to run system restore. Butů system restore won't run because the dirty bit is set. I have tried everything I can find on the internet about the problem including using hiren's boot cd and hxd editor but the hex editor can't find the string 03 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 18. Running chkdsk from safe mode and recovery environment both show no errors. I really don't want to have to do an inplace upgrade and go through all those windows updates/update problems again. Does anyone know of another solution to this problem? Thanks. Al

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article describes using a different hex editor - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually...ithout-chkdsk/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    This article describes using a different hex editor - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually...ithout-chkdsk/
    Read that article too. Forgot to mention that I had also tried DMDE hex editor with same result as HxD. Does anyone know of an app that will read the disk, find the string, and let one change the appropriate bit(kinda automatically)? How about one of you wizards whip one up real quick???

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Boot from a Windows CD/DVD, go to the command prompt and run CHKDSK from there.
    Make a backup first, of course.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Boot from a Windows CD/DVD, go to the command prompt and run CHKDSK from there.
    Make a backup first, of course.

cheers, Paul
    Been there, done that, still dirty...
    Al

Thanks
    Try running "TestDisk" after booting from your Hiren's BootCD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Try running "TestDisk" after booting from your Hiren's BootCD.
    I'll try that next, thanks. Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a lot of trouble with this a while back, and could not (and still don't) understand why chkdsk doesn't fix the dirty bit itself. Before I type the rather obscure instructions I found, I suggest you try "chkdsk c: /x" at the command line. This won't try to recover data (which speeds it up), but (in my case) does reset the dirty bit. Then chkdsk may want to run after a reboot, and with luck it will. Let me know if that helps, and if not we'll try the more cumbersome approach.

NB test the dirty bit with "fsutil dirty query c:"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    I had a lot of trouble with this a while back, and could not (and still don't) understand why chkdsk doesn't fix the dirty bit itself. Before I type the rather obscure instructions I found, I suggest you try "chkdsk c: /x" at the command line. This won't try to recover data (which speeds it up), but (in my case) does reset the dirty bit. Then chkdsk may want to run after a reboot, and with luck it will. Let me know if that helps, and if not we'll try the more cumbersome approach.

NB test the dirty bit with "fsutil dirty query c:"
    Due to this being Thanksgiving holiday week I won't be able to try this until next week, but will try it too. Thanks. Al

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Check for the string value "BootExecute" under the registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager

Delete all lines expect the last one. Hopefully this will disable chkdsk at boot.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-11-27 at 05:58.