3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cat 5e Compared to Cat 6 cables?

I just recently switched from a Cat 5e cable to a Cat6 cable to interconnect a switch in the basement to a router upstairs. Both used to show blinking green LED's (1000 connect speed) but now they show amber LED's, indicating only 100 connect speed.
    Is this normal? I thought cat 5e and cat6 cables were basically interchangeable?

Thanks, rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They are, you must have a cable /router problem.
    Do both cables have the same issue?
    Connect the troublesome port to a local machine to check the router and switch.
    Swap ports.
    Check the router / switch configuration - may be set to 100.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    They are, you must have a cable /router problem.
    Do both cables have the same issue?
    Connect the troublesome port to a local machine to check the router and switch.
    Swap ports.
    Check the router / switch configuration - may be set to 100.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the info Paul.
    No changes in any switch or router settings. Only thing I changed was the cable itself.
    I'll try swapping ports as well. Maybe need to check the cable ends and see if they are wired normally. This was a surplus 50 ft cable I had lying around, not sure of it's history.

Cheers,
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe it is history!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Sounds like the cable is not passing an auto test between the 2. Ohm out the cable. Make sure there is continuity between connector with same colored wire at both ends (and that colors are in same position ) and that there is continuity ONLY between those connectors. You may be able to re-terminate the cable and get better results.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a look at the end connections and they both appear to be the same.
    It's kind of hard to ohm out the connections because they are in different rooms on different levels of the house. It's a 50 foot long cable LOL. I tried switching ports on both end, no change.
    Is there utility software that I could use to perhaps diagnose a connection issue, or maybe actually test the transmission speed of the cable?
    Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    Is the Cat5e still handy so you could swap back and compare? If it was gigabit with the old cable but dropped with the change, I would suspect the cable if that's the only thing you changed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    Had a look at the end connections and they both appear to be the same.
    It's kind of hard to ohm out the connections because they are in different rooms on different levels of the house. It's a 50 foot long cable LOL. I tried switching ports on both end, no change.
    Is there utility software that I could use to perhaps diagnose a connection issue, or maybe actually test the transmission speed of the cable?
    Thanks,
    rstew
    Was this a manufacturer terminated cable? I have seen Cat 5 cables that look fine but just don't work. The faster the connection type the closer the tolerance to specs must be.

Perhaps you could enlist a helper at one end. Have them short out two pins and test between the same two on the other end. You are just looking for continuity. You should also check for a short, no helper needed for that.

This would not ensure the cable worked but could confirm a bad cable.

There are cheap continuity devices that can measure cables in a 1 person operation, devices to assure Gb ethernet cable compliance are likley much more expensive.

Maybe next time leave the old cable in place as a backup.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED:
    I went out and picked up a new 50 ft cat5e cable and put it in. Bingo, all working good.
    After all was said and done that was the easiest solution. Only cost 15 bucks plus a little time.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice!
    rstew