3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I get a Text Field on a cover to automatically update same field in header on other page?

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Word (Office 2016) on Windows 7 and am wondering how I can get
    a Text Form Field on a cover page to update another Text Form Field (with the same data) inside the actual heading on another page.

I would prefer for this to happen automatically (without use of a macro).

At this time, it is not working and I have to manually update the field on the cover page, as well as the field in the heading on another page.

As for the settings in my version of MS Word, I already have the following options checked:

Word Options>Display>Printing options

Update fields before printing
    Update linked data before printing

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (or sample files) that you can provide.

Regards,

James

Thanks
    There are several ways. Here are two:
    1. Use a particular style (paragraph or character) for the information on the cover page and a StyleRef field in the header.
    2. Use a Document Property Content Control for the one and copy it to the header.

If you want more, this article by Greg Maxey lists all of them of which I have any knowledge.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You don't need a formfield for the one doing the replication. The simplest approach, which Charles has already mentioned, is to use a StyleRef field. The next simplest would be to check the formfield's 'calculate on exit' property and use a cross-reference to the formfield's internal bookmark name.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. I got it working now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Charles,

I really appreciate it. I ended up putting the StyleRef field in the header and then linked back to the style on the cover page - made a change to the text in the style on the cover page and it worked.
    It is not a real time (as you type it) update, but the change is seen in the header with a refresh (or by saving the document, closing it and reopening it).

This will do the trick and I appreciate your assistance.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks
    You are welcome. I'm glad to have been of help.

My experience with the StyleRef field is that it is real-time when in a header.
    00 deleteme 1.png

When the original is changed, the Styleref field changes as changes are typed. This is with a character style applied through the content control's properties. I believe it would work the same with a directly applied character style.

00 deleteme 2.png
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Regardless of whether you're just typing in the document body, a formfield or content control, a StyleRef field referencing the Style used by that content updates as you type. There is no need to refresh anything.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Regardless of whether you're just typing in the document body, a formfield or content control, a StyleRef field referencing the Style used by that content updates as you type. There is no need to refresh anything.

In my experience, StyleRef fields in the body of the document do have to be update in the same way REF fields require it. Those in a header or footer are updated as you type.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    In my experience, StyleRef fields in the body of the document do have to be update in the same way REF fields require it. Those in a header or footer are updated as you type.
    Agreed - I accidenatlly omitted the 'header or footer' qualifier from my reply.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]