Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update will not do anything

I have a couple of desktops that are Win 7 64. I am trying to do some selective windows updates and it just sits there. I have not installed any of the Roll up updates yet as I want to try and clear out the older ones first. I have let one of the desktops run overnight and it still shows downloading with no progress. For that one, I only have the .net updates selected which there are 7. Normally this process goes pretty quick. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Have you looked at this "Sticky" in the W7 thread? http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...slow-downloads

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Have you looked at this "Sticky" in the W7 thread? http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...slow-downloads
    So I got it to work on my Laptop first. The first desktop though is still not working after following the steps outlined in the link. Every time I try to install either 3172605 or 3020369, Nothing happens. I get the Windows Update Standalone Installer and it says "Searching for Updates on this computer." That is as far as it goes.
    Any other thoughts?
    JP

Thanks
    Are you certain that you've completed parts 1 and 2 correctly:

1. Start Windows Update and change the Setting to Never check for updates. Close the Windows Update window. Some members recommend you return the setting to what ever you used before this operation, after you complete Windows Update. IF you do leave the setting at NEVER, Windows Update will no longer be automatic. From this point onwards, you are responsible for starting and installing updates. We recommend you do that a few days following the 2nd Tuesday each month.

2. Restart your computer.
    If you don't stop WU from auto-starting, it will block any updates you want to get.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Are you certain that you've completed parts 1 and 2 correctly:

If you don't stop WU from auto-starting, it will block any updates you want to get.

Thanks,
    I did all that already. WU is on "Never" and I restarted it. Am I missing something else?
    JP

Thanks
    Perhaps some other prerequisite is missing, try the Dalai/krelay method: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The older updates will need to be superseded by newer ones first but you can run Disk Cleanup as an admin which will clean out any already superseded updates.

Download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and leave it running while trying the .NET updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=30135

Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't but see if they will install with your antivirus program disabled as well.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The older updates will need to be superseded by newer ones first but you can run Disk Cleanup as an admin which will clean out any already superseded updates.

Download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and leave it running while trying the .NET updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=30135

Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't but see if they will install with your antivirus program disabled as well.

So I figured out the issue. On the Windows update settings page there are two other options that need to be unchecked. Microsoft Update and Software Notifications. These two boxes were checked. Once I unchecked them, everything downloaded and installed correctly. I had already selected Never check for updates but missed those two below that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'll have to check those settings on my Win 7 laptop, but glad you found a workaround.

Thanks
    I'm having no problems with WU and this is how mine are set.
    WU settings.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well you won't get any with them set to Never :lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Well you won't get any with them set to Never :lol
    Hmmm, good point, maybe that's why I don't have any trouble