5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font managers for Windows

I have a library of thousands of fonts on my computer, and I keep them in a separate folder (with many subfolders) in the User\Public folder, where they will be available to all users.

They are normally unseen because I use a font manager to manage them. When I want a font, or typically a family of fonts, or something like a Christmas set or the Star Trek collection, I activate the family or the set I want, which will make them appear in the working set.

One free font manager that I think is widely-used is NexusFont. By default it will display all of the fonts in the Windows\Fonts folder, but it can be used to view the contents of other folders and will activate or de-activate fonts or sets as required. I don’t use that program myself, so you’ll have to learn it on your own. It helps to remember that many programs have their own sometimes-valuable fonts which are not installed in the Windows\Fonts folder, and which can only be found by a full search of the drive. Installing LibreOffice will give you a number of compatible open source and Linux fonts, for example.

In my case, I use Bitstream Font Navigator, which came with CorelDraw (in past at least), and I think WordPerfect as well. (The set of about a thousand fonts is even included in the Home and Student edition of WordPerfect, if you want a quick and easy paid addition to your collection.) A web search will turn up any number of other font managers.

If you want to expand your collection, there is a mountain of fonts available, paid and free, available online. Google Fonts is a free collection from Google itself, Font Squirrel is a highly-regarded source, and there are others too numerous to mention.

Some free fonts are highly-regarded – ibarraReal was recommended by Microsoft itself – and Crimson Text is recommended by numerous academic institutions. Fonts are continually refined, with new additions being made to successive versions of Windows and Office. The Sitka family, introduced in Windows 8.1, was a notable addition (if you learn how to use it), and it is downloadable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

AdamKertesz (2016-12-03)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry
    If you want to expand your collection, there is a mountain of fonts available, paid and free, available online.
    Good info, thank you.

For people working with/involved in dyslexia, free open source dyslexia-friendly fonts are available from opendyslexic.org.

Hope this helps...