Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 - best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?

Short version:

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

What is the best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?

More information\background:

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 with updates current through September 2016 to Susan Bradley's recommendations. (I'm holding off on October forward to let the WinUpdate dust settle.) Win 7 was installed in spring 2010 and has been running since then without problems except as follows.

I use Firefox (primary) and IE11 (secondary) web browsers. Over time, mostly within the past year or two, my local account has been losing functionality in these web browsers. That is, certain things no longer work that used to work fine in my local account. However, if I run either browser as Administrator the functionality returns.

For example, the LLBean web site only partially loads and doesn't respond to clicks on links. Or I can no longer log in to a site because the login page doesn't finish loading. Or the log in page loads but doesn't respond to clicks on the button to submit log in credentials. Or a discussion forum that offers threaded or flat view no longer retains the choice after it is selected.

This used to be a nuisance, but now it's getting to the point where several of my favorite sites no longer work unless I run the browser as Administrator which I prefer not to do for obvious reasons.

I have MBAM products and a well regarded antivirus running all the time. When I run manual scans they return 0 threats. I periodically run other online anti-malware and anti-virus software and they return 0 threats.

I run NoScript (keep it current) in Firefox, I have uninstalled it and it doesn't fix the problem. But whatever is going on affects both Firefox and IE11 anyway.

I created a new local standard account. When I log on to this new account all the problem web sites mentioned above behave the way they should. So now I am considering copying over my data and settings (or maybe not settings?) to this new local account to replace my old account.

What do you think?

What is the best and easiest way to do this?

Thanks!

ggeinec

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ggeinec View Post
    What is the best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?
    After imaging your system drive, create new user Wilma.
    In Win Explorer, find the current user Fred, and copy everything under it [ie all sub-folders] to Wilma.

I'm not sure that'll do it, but worth a shot.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. I will check them out.