Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Update to Ver 1607 Build 14393.447 GIVES "Bad Pool Header" and Loops

I have Win 10 Pro, 9 GB of RAM, SSD, and Memory, SSD, etc. and all test good.

Currently, I am on Build 14393.222 and it works fine - no issues at all - runs well - I am happy with it.

Due to Update issues, I have now shut Windows Update OFF in Services because any newer Update Builds trash my system - I have an image file of my *.222 setup and have restored it numerous times after trying all of the post Build *.222 updates - the latest being that from KB3200970 (Build 14393.447).

I have stopped Windows Updates, tried a manual update (KB3200970) and even used the Media Creation Tool (with Keep files option) to update (as recommended by MS) ALL WITH NO SUCCESS.

MS Tech Support said to keep my system as is (continue to stay at Build *.222) and try future updates as they appear. They say they are continuously working on update issues. I'm not happy that there is no reasonable explanation or method to deal with a "Bad Pool Header" that completely STOPS a system that works just fine.

I have not seen comments regarding this error and will go through everything I can at Windows Secrets but would like to get comments/suggestions regarding this matter from anyone as soon as possible.

Thanks, in advance,

Fred S
    Fred S

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you get the error after a successful update or during the update process?

Are you running any third party a/v software?

Have you tried disabling fast startup? See How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Thanks for your comments. The error shows up after the update is done. The system login is normal, then after entering my PW, the desktop appears as usual and within a few seconds or as much as a minute later, the Blue Screen appears.

I was able to use Windows 10 Trouble shooting tools and got into Safe Mode with Networking. That works and I was even able to contact Microsoft regarding a remote connection. They did that, found nothing, and then elevated my case. The tech that called back basically told me that MS has loads of people working on update issues and that since I do have a working version (14393.222) then I should stick with that and just try the next offering as it might get fixed in due time (not a very good answer from MS). But, that's the way it is.

Running without the error in SafeMode makes me believe there is something in the startup that might be able to be identified. I may try to empty out the start up list and try loading things one by one to find it.

Regarding a/v software, I have VLC and Windows Media Player on my system - do you think that's a factor? What do you suggest on this case?
    Uninstall VLC and Windows Media Player?

I have Hibernate not enabled in the Registry.
    Fred S

Thanks
    Fred, a consistent STOP 0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER is almost 100% caused by a bad driver, so either a 3rd party driver loading, or its *some driver* being changed/updated by the update process.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SATROW,

Thanks, I've used Device Manager to search for updates and always get the message that I have the latest driver. How do I sort this out?

Also, you may have noticed that I can run in Safe Mode without problems on the system that gives the Bad Pool Header when running in normal Windows mode.

How does the Safe Mode working, and Normal Windows NOT working contribute? Aren't all the drivers loaded in Safe Mode? If not which ones are not?

I think that the Audio (Realtek) drivers are not running in SafeMoce - any others?

I would appreciate any thoughts on dealing with drivers.

Fred
    Fred S

Administrator
    Thanks
    Safe mode uses basic drivers that Windows has. You should check the vendor sites for updated drivers for your various devices and components.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you recommend a Driver "Update" type of program that would automate this job?
    Fred S

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, I do not. I find it better to go to the vendor site.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Device Manager instead of having it look for updated drivers online, click on Browse my computer then on Let me pick...

It may give you a whole rake of sections or just the drivers available for that device.

As well as the usual drivers in Device Manager, see what you get in the System Devices section.

I've found that it changes my Realtek wireless to a one for March 2016 although it works and isn't loaded in Safe Mode with Networking, but your main graphics isn't loaded in Safe Mode either.

However, if it had interfered with your graphics drivers then it would probably BSOD.

You could create a boot log to see how far it gets and then view it in Safe Mode.

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Boot tab check the box for Boot log - Apply - OK then restart.

You can find the file in C:\Windows as ntbtlog

It will overwrite the previous one as long as you have that box checked.

And I'm with Joe on Driver Updater programs - they don't always get it right and can cause more harm than good.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-12-02 at 11:47.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    And I'm with Joe on Driver Updater programs - they don't always get it right and can cause more harm than good.
    I certainly agree!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Today, I tried few things. One was to go through the drivers as suggested by Sudo15, that is I did the update using the method he described. I didn't go to manufacturers but did search for drivers ON my disk. It appeared to load and change some of them.

Next, I made an Image file of the system for safe restoration, then I enabled Windows Update (I have the Service DISABLED) and manually installed KB3200970 (Build 14393.447).

My system has three accounts, Mine, my wife's, and Visitor. After the update finished, I logged into my account and it ran flawlessly for quite a while. I ran a few programs, Thunderbird, FireFox (did some browsing), checked my calendar, my resident memory macros, etc. everything worked and no issues in my account.

Then, I signed out and clicked on my wife's account, within 10 seconds I got the Bad Pool Header and the re-boot showed up. After the Re-boot I checked my account again and sure enough it was just fine, no issues, next logged off and logged into the Visitor account, right away the Bad Pool Header again. After the reboot, my account worked great again but the other two, no dice!

How can my account work like a charm while the other two crash? If there is a driver issue why is it not happening on my account. My account is quite busy, I have numerous tools, utilities, two resident macros, and lots of programs that are never used on the other accounts. I've customized the startup menus for the other accounts to keep them simple and yet those two are the ones that are crashing.

It appears the driver update as suggested by Sudoo15 did help because my account worked like a charm. On the other hand, the other two accounts crash.

Last thing I tried was to make a copy of my wife's user account and the same for the Visitor account. Next I removed the Visitor account and planned to create a new account called TEST. I used Settings to add a new account and got an error message that "something did not work, try again later..." - did all this from my account of course. I finally got the "Test" account created and it appeared on the login screen. When I started it, it immediately crashed with the Bad Pool Header. A brand new account, not changed in anyway, caused the error.

I finally gave up and restored my image back to 14393.222 so I can do the work I need to do.

I do not understand how my large and unique account can run FINE, and yet the other two don't run at all - they just crash. What can be causing this? There is no unique software nor devices for the other accounts, those accounts use normal programs like email, browser, word processing, etc. all of which are on my account.

Sorry for the length of this but all of you folks have offered good ideas which are most appreciated, yet I still have the problem and thought I should advise on the latest results.

Fred
    Fred S

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does your wife's account have admin privileges ?

Did you try the other accounts before you upped to .447 as that could have changed some drivers that your account could have been immune to ?

I can't answer why even a new account or your wife's should crash but give your wife's account admin status if not already and go through the drivers again as you did for yours.

As you have gone back to .222 you will have to go through yours again before upping to .447.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

Yes my wife's acct is an administrator account.

My wife and I use this computer every day, so the .222 account has working accounts with no problems for me, her, and the Visitor account.

I did not go through the driver routine for my wife's, nor the visitor accounts. I will give that a try and will report back. It is the right thing to do even if .447 fails again. At least the drivers will be good (??).

Regarding my drivers, I made my last image AFTER the drivers, so no prob there. As I said, per your suggestion, I will try and go through Device Mgr in her account and the Visitor account. Will make another image of that before trying the .447 update.

One more thing, I was reading lots of web stuff on Bad Pool Header errors and saw a suggestion to install the update in SafeMode. I tried that today and Windows reports that the installer will not work in SafeMode - is there a way to do this in SafeMode?

Once again, thanks to you folks for your assistance.

Fred
    Fred S

Thanks
    BAD_POOL_HEADER errors are essentially "memory address allocation" errors; i.e.: data that has been written to a specific memory address cannot later be read from that memory address.

Although BAD_POOL_HEADER errors might seem more likely if the system has buggy/out-of-date drivers, in my experience it is best to first check the system's memory for problems.

"Memory" can be either the installed RAM chip(s) or the HDD/SSD (the "pagefile.sys" memory file which is used for storing less-immediate data in "memory").

First remove the RAM chip(s) from the computer and clean the contacts by rubbing them (gently) with an ordinary white pencil rubber/eraser then brush off any particles w/ a clean soft brush (such as a small paint brush or "soft" toothbrush). Over time w/ repeated heating/cooling cycles the gold-plated contacts become tarnished, which interferes w/ the contact between the chips and their slots.

After you have cleaned the RAM contacts it is a good idea to run a test w/ a respected "RAM test" program, e.g.: MemTest86

Once you have dealt w/ the RAM it is a good idea to check the HDD/SSD for errors. In my experience that is best done by running a chkdsk scan w/ the "/r" switch (checks all sectors including freespace & records any sectors found to be bad so Windows will not attempt to use those sectors in the future).

Right-click on the Win10 logo then left-click on "Command Prompt (Admin)". In the command prompt window type:

chkdsk C: /r

then press Enter. You will get a message that chkdsk will run when Windows next starts - type "y" (Yes) to that then exit the command prompt window and restart Windows to run the scan. Once the chkdsk scan completes and Win10 has restarted you can look in "Event Viewer" Windows Logs\Application for a "wininit" entry that lists the results of the chkdsk scan.

Only after doing the above would I investigate device driver problems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows Update doesn't work in Safe Mode - ironic really that it doesn't trust its own servers when you can still download and install programs in that mode.

I think if it was a memory or SSD/HDD problem, then that would be problematic across the board regardless of drivers and not just for other profiles.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-12-04)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast