New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 USB Volumes yellowed-out

Concerned about startup time, I trimmed some services, and the next day I couldn't ability to open USB flash drives. (I'm not sure those two are even connected; I can't find a service that refers to USB or volumes.) Flash drives and external HDDs do not appear in the explorer or in the "stop USB" window, but they do appear--without name--in drive management. I have one external USB hard drive; it appears without name in drive management, but I cannot access it through the Windows explorer. The USB ports all show "working correctly", but the Volumes have yellow triangles. These ports are all connected to the mainboard but are separate from the rear-panel USB ports. (Most other USB-connected peripherals seem to work all right.) When I try to give them a name in Drive Management, I get this message:
    "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer. The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."
    None of these actions fixes anything.
    I have tried uninstalling all the USB drivers and rebooting: no cigar. Tried to find new drivers: ASUS doesn't list Win 10 drivers for this mobo, the ones that had been working must be in Windows 10, but I don't know how to identify them.
    Mainboard ASUS M4A87TD/USB3; AMD 4-core CPU; 8GB RAM; Windows 10 Pro 32-bit v.1607 with PAE patch.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you make a list of the services you "trimmed"? I think that would be helpful to know about now.
    (You might want to adopt the habit of making a drive image of your system before experimenting.)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check to see if you have any restore points to use to see if that will reinstate them - and it's good advice that you create system images to fall back on, even when the problem hasn't been self inflicted.

Event Viewer or reliability history may give a clue to which services are not operating as they should.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-11-22 at 16:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. When things go wrong, sometimes we get so emotional that we overlook simple possibilities. I will try your suggestion. But I am still bugged by what happened and why I can't find anything online about volume lockout. Win 10 Troubleshooter came up with the usual: We gave that error a number, but we don't know what it means.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's probably best not to mess about with system services.

Not sure if you could normalise things by going into msconfig and checking the Normal start up button if msconfig is set to selective startup, but if you have set the services to Disabled in services.msc then that will probably override anything in msconfig.

New Lounger
    Thanks

If only I had done it that way . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It's probably best not to mess about with system services.

Not sure if you could normalise things by going into msconfig and checking the Normal start up button if msconfig is set to selective startup, but if you have set the services to Disabled in services.msc then that will probably override anything in msconfig.
    Thank you--but what services have a bearing on volumes?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know - I've had a look through mine and nothing stands out.

Where did you change things and have you had a look in Event Viewer or reliability history yet ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I don't know - I've had a look through mine and nothing stands out.

Where did you change things and have you had a look in Event Viewer or reliability history yet ?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those. I've never heard of "reliability history" before; maybe that's available only in the U.K.?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No - go Start - start to type reliability and when View reliability history is highlighted, press enter.

If anything drastic has occurred on a particular day, that will be denoted by a red X