Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows vista will not run updates.

I have an E machine with win vista home premium, 2GB RAM, 3.33 GB/s, 125 GB HDD. It will not run updates. It has not updated since 9/15/16.
    Updated terminate in error 80040154 WU dt000. I have run CCleaner, SpybotSD, Mbam, and SAS.
    I have run Resume tweakbit and registry reviver to see what they say but no help.
    I tries windowsupdatediagnostic.diagcab but it doesn't seem to work, it has no app or exe.
    I am apparently missing a DLL or something. I have the original disk OEM System builder pack.

HELP!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you run a Command Prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Where did it tell you about the missing .dll and are you able to replicate that to give us the name of the missing .dll.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing told me that i had a missing DLL. I assumed it from some of the Trouble shooting information i have been looking at all day.
    sfc /scannow says:
    Microsoft Windows [version 6.0.6002]
    copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
    sfc / Scannow
    sfc /VERIFYFILE=C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    sfc \SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDI
    R=d:\windows
    sfc \VERIFYONLY
    C:\ exit

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Had just such a problem last week with Vista for a client. His Avast! had expired and for the short time of Vista's support he wanted the Free AVG. I hadn't been able to run the updates, he hadn't either for over a month. I first uninstalled Avast! then tried to run the Windows Update and it worked, when finished I then installed AVG, updated the definitions and ran the scan, all is good.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    Nothing told me that i had a missing DLL. I assumed it from some of the Trouble shooting information i have been looking at all day.
    sfc /scannow says:
    Microsoft Windows [version 6.0.6002]
    copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
    sfc / Scannow
    sfc /VERIFYFILE=C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    sfc \SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDI
    R=d:\windows
    sfc \VERIFYONLY
    C:\ exit
    The reason you have gotten that output from the cmd window is because you have entered the cmd incorrectly.

You have entered it as sfc / scannow instead of sfc /scannow - there is no space between the forward slash and scannow.

Can you redo the cmd, ensuring you enter it correctly and then tell us what it reports.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't used DOS in 20 years.
    How do i make it send the /scannow report to a file?

disregard this , I did a screen shot.
    Last edited by philomel; 2016-11-24 at 12:02.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You only need to do that if it reports that it is unable to repair some files, but copy & paste this cmd to the prompt -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

That will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked on will open in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Access is denied.
    I tried to update and it failed with the same errors.

Is the findstring... a dos command to be used in cmd or is it a string to be used in the start command window?
    Last edited by philomel; 2016-11-24 at 12:41.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's a DOS cmd and would normally be entered straight after the sfc report as the CBS log is volatile.

Entering it at the cmd prompt shouldn't get you an Access Denied, but at least it has repaired something.

sfc /scannow cannot scan/repair all system files such as Environment Variables and Reparse Point files which can affect Windows Update.

Option 2 Pre-Scan of the Windows Repair program can do that at www.tweaking.com but let's see if the WSUS Offline Update program can get you your updates.

YT tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

Download site - http://download.wsusoffline.net/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found Microsoft Office 2010 Word version: 14.0.7172.5000 <o2k!0 x86 enu sp2>
    Checking medium content
    Medium does not support Microsoft Windows <w60 x86 enu). Medium does not support Microsoft Office <ofc glb>.
    ERROR: Medium neither supports your Windows nor your Office version. Ending WSUS Offline Update at 18:13:30.18... E:\$Tools\Wuoffline\wsusoffline\clientScmd> E:\$Tools\WuofflineSwsusoffline\clientScmd>exit

This thing doesn't do windows vista.
    I had a cleaning lady who wouldn't do windows either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thought it did....

See what the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) makes of your system - download the version for your Vista.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

When it has complete, you can view its log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad which you can copy & paste if it finds anything.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't run SURT because I don't have enough disk space to do that.
    One problem I have is that I partitioned my disk wrong when it was new.
    My disk is 120Gb.
    I made C: big enough for windows vista.
    Now it's 49.1 GB, with 48.7 used and 336MB free.
    D: is ~8.5 Gb 1.35 used Sys volume info 7.14Gb free
    E: 54.1Gb 17.4 used, 36.7 free.
    I never realized that the user updates would be so big and go onto the C Drive.
    I could repartition the drive but I am afraid of overwriting some essential information on C: and trashing the system.
    I have an external 80 GB disk for backups.
    I have an external 1TB drive with 931GB space, 47.2GB used and 884Gb free.
    I Know i can save the system but don't know how in what order to do things.
    After trying the Surt thing C: went from 1.61Gb down to 387Mb free. I don't know where the Surt file went or i would delete it. I have run smart defrag and tried disk cleanup but that didn't help. when I ran SUTR it terminated in an error so the file could have any name? I do know some DOS so I could find it and delete it if necessary.
    Last edited by philomel; 2016-11-25 at 16:33.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not having enough space on your HDD is probably the reason for the updates fail.

Use your restore points to before you downloaded SURT and then see if you can free up some more of your HDD.

If you don't use Hibernate, then run a command prompt as an administrator and enter powercfg -h off and that will free up a few GB.

After you have freed up space, then download SURT again to see what it reports.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    ...I made C: big enough for windows vista.
    Now it's 49.1 GB, with 48.7 used and 336MB free...
    For Windows to run correctly there needs to be at least 15% freespace on the Windows partition.

First thing you should do is run "Disk Cleanup" (you should find it at Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

philomel (2016-12-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done that. I think I need to find out if it is possible to move files from C to the J: [1TB] drive and repartition without screwing it up. Free space from the E drive and move it to the C Drive.
    I need to find out where the failed download went. I know it is on C:. I need to remove it.
    I may need to remove it with DOS not windows.
    Last edited by philomel; 2016-11-25 at 18:59.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast