New Lounger
    Thanks

Writing to a Small SSD and not a large Hard Drive

Hello All
    I just bought a new Windows 10 computer and am in the process of transferring my files and data from the old machine to the new one. I noticed that (by default) everything is being written to the much smaller (128 GB) SSD drive instead of the larger (1 TB) Hard Drive. The small one is now full! What is the use of having a large drive if everything is being crammed into the small one? More to the point: What can I do about it? The large one is just sitting there empty!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should reserve your SSD for Windows, programs and maybe small data files that you use often.
    Large static files, like audio / video / pictures should be stored on the HDD, it will be more than fast enough.

What files do you have that are taking up lots of space?
    You can use TreeSize free to see what files are taking up all the space.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You've encountered a reason that I have not purchased an SSD, too small. However, as posted by another, you can have your 2TB HD be the Data drive, all your data folders, files, pics, EXE & ZIP installs, etc. can be on this 1TB HD; leaving only the OS and 3rd party programs on the SSD. And, you can create data folders on the 1TB HD and educate all your programs to save, save as, copy, write, etc. everything onto designated folders on the 1TB HD.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Roland, I run a 120GB SSD and have 40GB free. My 1TB hard drive is about half full with my data. My machine is very fast!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, your computer is aok! My computer is aok! Now, let's help MDRapp get his computer up to aok
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRapp View Post
    What can I do about it? The large one is just sitting there empty!
    It seems others have told you in general terms that you can use the large drive for 'big' data, but not specified how (and not explained why the SSD has been used by default). By default, I think Windows will ignore any drive other than the system (boot) one, and will certainly have set up user folders on the SSD. It is up to you to tell it what you want: you will have to change the default location for Documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos etc: rt-click on each folder and select the 'location' tab, then change the location to a folder of your choice on the HDD. I am afraid you will have to do that manually for each folder you want to move (if there is a way to do all of them, I don't know it).

I don't recommend you move any of the hidden folders under your username. When you have transferred all your data, then will be the time to see how much space is used/left on the SSD. If it seems excessive, let us know. My W10 C: drive uses under 20GB (with Office 2010 trying to fill it up). It will of course get larger as updates stream in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRapp
    What can I do about it? The large one is just sitting there empty!
    The default is to use C:. To change this, do the following:

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click System (Display, notifications, apps, power)
    4. Click Storage in the left-hand pane.
    5. Under Save locations, change the categories from This PC (C: ) to your larger HD then click the Apply button that appears.

You may need to restart for the changes to take effect. Windows will create a new folder in the new destination using your logon name. Within that folder will be new folders for the data categories you changed.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-11-25 at 10:42.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    The default is to use C:. To change this, do the following:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click System (Display, notifications, apps, power)
    4. Click Storage in the left-hand pane.
    5. Under Save locations, change the categories from This PC (C: ) to your larger HD then click the Apply button that appears.
    I felt embarrassed that I hadn't spotted/recalled that (I remember going there to stop Windows defaulting to Onedrive ages ago), so gave it a go. Even after a reboot, I could not find what, if any, programs obeyed that setting - a folder for documents (the only one I changed) did appear on the drive I selected, but that was it. Office 2010 and Notepad seemed unaware, and I could not think of a W10 app that I could test it with. My Documents 'folder' (under This PC) was still pointing to its original location. So if you make the changes work for you, let us know.

Thanks
    "It seems others have told you in general terms that you can use the large drive for 'big' data, but not specified how..." --mngerhold

The reason why I earlier posted "...And, you can create data folders on the 1TB HD and educate all your programs to save, save as, copy, write, etc. everything onto designated folders on the 1TB HD...."
    -- I'm assuming until told otherwise the end-user knows how to create folders
    -- I'm assuming until told otherwise the end-user knows how to, in each program, tell that program where to save, save as, etc. anything/everything each particular program produces.
    For example, I'm sure the end-user either uses MS Office Word or either any one of several open offices' Writer program. Both Word and Writer can be set to save, save as, etc. any/every-thing produced, edited, etc. into the created folders on his giant data hard-drive.
    Based on the details provided in his thread-starter, I do not believe thread-starter is a beginner with computers. I'm guessing intermediate to above-middle.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland: I realised after writing it that my comment might seem critical, but was not intended to be so, and I apologise if it came across that way. You are correct that we do have to assume some level of familiarity, although the nature of the question suggests the OP needs fairly basic help. I wonder what 'transfer process' allows data to be copied without the user making a choice of destination - some Windows feature, perhaps? Its a shame we haven't heard from him/her since the original post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRapp View Post
    I ... am in the process of transferring my files and data from the old machine to the new one.
    How are you doing the transfer?

I don't understand why you can't select the destination, unless you're using some sort of automated tool. If that's the case, there should be a destination setting in the tool.

Generally the simplest way to transfer or copy data [ie user files, not Windows or programs] from one PC to another is to temporarily install the old PC's HD in the new PC, and use File Manager to simply drag & drop.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    Roland: I realised after writing it that my comment might seem critical, but was not intended to be so, and I apologise if it came across that way...
    No harm, no foul! Like you, we're all one big team helping each other out!