New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Install Security Monthly Quality Rollup

I am having trouble installing some Win 8.1 64-bit updates on my Samsung Chronos Series 7 laptop, particularly the Monthly Quality Rollup updates - I'm not sure I have been able to install any since they were issued.

The update seems to install, but when I reboot, I get a "rolling back" message. The error code is:800F0922.

This seems to be a common problem but I haven't been able to crack it so far. I have tried all the obvious: disabling secure boot; sfc /scannow etc. without any success.

As there are other updates which haven't installed over the past few months I'm not sure I have all the updates required to install the monthly rollup updates.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards to all - Dee Bee

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've read there was some success by going into the BIOS and disabling Secure Boot and then re-enable it after the install - but YMMV.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion but as I said in my original post I have tried this without success. It really is a pain.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry - I missed that bit.

Did you get the same error code for the other failed updates as well ?

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter - (unless you've also run these cmds)

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

shutdown /r /t 00

and then try them again after the reboot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a problem - thanks for quick response. Regret still no progress.

I ran the dism commands as suggested which took about an hour. Then tried to install the November Rollup Update KB3197474. It incremented slowly to 30% then rebooted. After restarting it incremented slowly to 67% then stayed at that for several minutes then incremented slowly to 98% after which the well known 'Failure Configuring Updates" was displayed.

After it rolled back and rebooted I again disabled Secure Boot and tried again with the same result.

The predominant error code has been 800F0922 with the occasional 8024001E; 80240054 & 80246013 thrown in for good measure.

I'm wondering if I am missing any prerequisite updates which prevent me from loading the Rollup.

Any further help appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sometimes restarting the Windows Update service and BITS can help as well as resetting the update components.

The following cmds will do both - just copy & paste them to a Command Prompt (Admin) where they'll auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

Also check that System Protection is turned on as if it is unable to create a restore point, that may also baulk it.

Also disable your antivirus program if using a 3rd party one.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the continuing thoughts. Still the same outcome I'm sorry to say.

An interesting point (?) - I checked that system protection was on and then looked at the restore points available - nothing over the past few days except the manual restore point I created before executing the dsim commands. Not sure if this is of any relevance.

I still feel that I might be missing some prerequisite updates which are preventing me from installing the rollups but I could (probably) be wrong.

Thanks again for your continuing help,

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The /startcomponentcleanup cmd cleans out the WinSxS folder but wouldn't have thought that would have affected your restore points as it would also have removed the manual one you had created - to my way of thinking.

Did you click on Show more restore points ?

One thing that can take out restore points is an infection.

Download the free version of MBAM and run a scan with that after it has updated itself.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Are you using a 3rd party antivirus program and if so, have you tried the updates with it disabled ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only reason I mentioned the lack of restore points (yes, I did click on 'show more') was that I assumed (probably wrongly) that every time an update was installed a restore point was created and wondered why there were so few.

I've tried MBAM and apart from picking up a couple of PUP's nothing untoward.

My antivirus is AVG Free which I have disabled during updates with no change however you can only disable AVG 'till the next reboot - I might try uninstalling AVG and just leaving Windows Defender.

I have just tried to install a single of the recent updates (KB3138602) and still get the error 800F0922.

Very frustrating!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How much space is allocated for the restore points - you can check this by clicking on Configure.

With you saying the update progresses slowly by % - that could be AVG holding things up as it checks the files, but these rollups are quite large and that could be its natural progression.

Are all of your drivers up to date ?

I once had problems doing a repair install of Win 10 and found the Intel Management Engine Interface needed updating, which I did through Device Manager/System devices

It was failing on the second reboot, but I wasn't getting the same error code you are.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it's not AVG - uninstalled AVG and updated Windows Defender - same result.

All drivers up to date however I'll check the IMEI.

Space allocated for restore points is 10% i.e. 90GB and showing 39.8GB used so it's not that.

Still frustrating but thanks for your continuing help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you installed anything since the last successful updates ?

Sometimes performing a clean boot can help, but I've never had much faith in that, although it will isolate any new programs that have inserted themselves into the Startup menu or non-MS services.

That seems quite a large allocation - mine is just 2 or 3% up to ~10GB.

Much older restore points may be irrelevant.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try a clean boot and let you know the result.

Many thanks for your help.