Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zig and Sudo 15 - apologies for non response - I have been abroad since before Christmas and I'm still not near the offending laptop.

I'll have a good read of Zig's post #20 when I get back and let you know how I get on.

Happy New Year to all.

Dee Bee

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All.

Well, after following all the sage advice in this thread (and others) I was still no further forward. So I bit the bullet and did a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 8.1 following the guidance on this site: https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html.

Remarkably everything went smoothly using a Windows 8.1 download from the official Microsoft site and after the usual problems getting 8.1 to check for updates I have now installed all updates (and incidentally been able to remove 2 nagging unused bluetooth devices which proved impossible to shift before).

I would recommend anybody to try the non-destructive reinstall as described.

Thanks for all your past help.

Regards - Dee Bee

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hope you enjoyed your hols and the added bonus you've had in getting the update problem fixed.

Thanks for the update

If you're done then you can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark thread as Solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12