Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

help in running two monitors.

Hello,

I want to use a second monitor in conjunction with the current one. I don't have and external video card installed. I am using the on-board vga port. Is there any way to buy a vga splitter and use the two same time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fadi19; 2016-11-28 at 16:54.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It depends on whether the onboard card can drive two monitors. What is the computer / video card?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Sorry but no. That chipset/RAM combo doesn't support dual monitors. IMO you need an addon card with better GPU and at least 512MB for even a very basic dual monitor setup, with 1GB+ for better resolution/refresh rate.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You would need to install something like a Gigabyte GeForce GT 210. It has 2 outputs and plenty of RAM.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you guys suggest one from this page 512MB video card. Something in range of 20$ since I have old machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fadi19
    Can you guys suggest one from this page 512MB video card.
    You need to provide more info, like make and model of your present PC. It's no good someone here suggesting, for example, a full-size graphics card if you're using a low profile/small form factor unit.

It would also help to know what make/model (and/or inputs) of monitors that you have.

Finally, you'll need to take the cost of the video cable(s) into account as well.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.file-upload.com/ecf1xeel8fvp
    high profile PC
    The current screen is acer X193w+.
    I have video cable for HDMI and VGA and DVI

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fadi19[URL="http://www.file-upload.com/ecf1xeel8fvp"
    http://www.file-upload.com/ecf1xeel8fvp[/URL]
    high profile PC
    The current screen is acer X193w+.
    I have video cable for HDMI and VGA and DVI
    I wasn't able to download from that link but, by 'high profile', I guess you mean full size or tower. In that case, I would suggest one of the GeForce full-height cards.

However, it's best if you let us know the make/model of PC or, if it's non-branded, use something like Speccy to let us know the mainboard details.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: PS - Many people here on WSL will not download from any 'file upload' sites, so IMO it's usually better to attach any info directly to your post. You may have to zip some types of data, e.g. HTML files.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-11-28 at 10:05. Reason: Added postscript

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm reluctant to download from here - you can't be too careful.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I attached that file and you can view it, Rick can you pick a sample so I can I have idea of how it look.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fadi19 View Post
    I attached that file and you can view it, Rick can you pick a sample so I can I have idea of how it look.
    The text file in your ZIP file appears to be from Speccy and shows that you have what appears to be an MSI G31TM-P21 mainboard, with 2 out of 4 RAM slots populated.

However, what appears to be the manual for the MSI G31TM-P21 mainboard shows only 2 RAM slots in total. Either Speccy or my link to what appears to be the mainboard manual is wrong.

Also, Google searches appear to show that the MSI G31TM-P21 mainboard is micro-ATX format... yet you say it's a 'high profile' PC (full size?). I'm a bit confused and have no wish to recommend a GPU card that I'm not sure of.

I think it's best if you confirm the make/model of mainboard, even if it means taking the PC's cover off. If it IS an MSI G31TM-P21 mainboard then it appears to have a standard PCI-e slot so should be able to accommodate any of the full-size PCI-e add-on cards from the link you supplied - for example, the PNY GeForce 8400GS PCI-E Video Graphics Card High Profile DDR2 512MB DVI VGA or NVidia GeForce 7200GS PCI-E Video Card High Profile 512MB DDR2 PV-T72S-BANG.

These are just examples because, to be honest, the link you supplied shows 10 pages of suggestions. I've just ploughed through all the items on the first page and suggested what I think will be suitable for your needs. Sorry but it's down to you to do the rest of your research.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Micro-ATX is a medium-small motherboard, it can be fitted into most of the mid-size or larger cases, it has no direct bearing on whether the GPU card has to be slim/half-height or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Micro-ATX is a medium-small motherboard, it can be fitted into most of the mid-size or larger cases, it has no direct bearing on whether the GPU card has to be slim/half-height or not.
    You're right, but it's been a tad difficult to get some idea from the OP what sort of PC he's talking about, e.g. SFF, CMT, etc., hence height of back-panel.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The manual is correct in most of the modifications I made in the past I refereed to it. I don't really know what to call high profile, large case, full size, but for sure it is not the slim size or I guess you labeled it low profile. Again the mainboard is MSI G31TM-P21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast