New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Which Virtual private network to go for?

Hi. I am using windows 10. I want to know which VPN will work better for Win 10? Also, I don't have a lot of budget, so I can't go for the expensive ones. Ivacy VPN seems like a good vpn for $36 for 2 years, but I'm looking into other options as well...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What do you hope to get out of a VPN? I recently posted a question about VPN's on the road and the consensus reply was that they were of no real value.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    What do you hope to get out of a VPN? I recently posted a question about VPN's on the road and the consensus reply was that they were of no real value.
    I just reread that thread and did not get that out of it. I do not have a rec but if I needed to use a WIFI connection at a Starbucks in this country and I cared about being compromised I would want a VPN. Traveling; well .....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I just reread that thread and did not get that out of it. I do not have a rec but if I needed to use a WIFI connection at a Starbucks in this country and I cared about being compromised I would want a VPN. Traveling; well .....

Totally agree...In fact one of the replies on that Thread, from Paul T, stated
    "Not every site uses https for login - this site is one example. A VPN guarantees encryption and for business purposes it makes sense."
    In any event there are many different reasons for using a VPN and a Google type search will inform.
    I use one regularly, especially when traveling, but it is difficult to recommend unless the OP gives more details of his intended usage.
    This site gives some good information and reviews, which may help in that respect.
    https://www.bestvpn.com/comparison-tool/

Thanks
    VPNs probably change quickly, but fwiw here are a few notes I made.

From a couple of years ago:

Fred Langa has a nice clear article Four ways to protect yourself on unsecured nets. In case you can't access it, the four are:

1: Tell Windows you’re on an unsecured network.
    ie select "Public network" for airports, hotels, coffee shops, and the like when Windows asks you what kind of network you're connecting to--this should make your PC invisible on the network.

2: Use “HTTPS” whenever possible.
    This uses bidirectional encryption between your browser and the site you’re visiting. Try editing URLs manually, replacing “HTTP” with “HTTPS”, with any site or webpage that requests personal or sensitive information.

3: Use a virtual private network connection.

"A free or low-cost VPN is my favorite method for staying secure on public networks." VPNs establish a secure, private channel between your PC and the VPN provider’s server. That server, in turn, then connects to whatever website or other server you want to reach. It’s best to create your VPN account before you need it — while you’re still connected to a private network at home or at work. Some popular services:
    VyprVPN; ExpressVPN; IPVanish; Hotspot Shield.

4: Use wired Ethernet where available.
    It’s virtually snoop-proof. Wi-Fi, on the other hand, broadcasts your data in all directions. Plus, a direct connection is always faster and more stable.

From 18 months ago:

I used OverPlay for ..., $5/month, and it worked well.

VPN Reviewer seems at first glance to be a credible site, altho this field is full of shysters, so beware. The link goes to a review of ibVPN, which like OverPlay run a DNS service allowing customers to unblock streaming sites without using a VPN.

From a year ago:

My Streaming from International to US thread here, which may be relevant, depending on OP's planned usage.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2016-12-02 at 04:14. Reason: fix link
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Lugh, your link seems to have been truncated (it's just http://www)
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-12-02)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Lugh, your link
    Oops, fixed--thanks
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Current reviews are a bit tricky since many of the tech sites reviewing them are in Europe, which apparently uses them more. One feature often reviewed is the ability to spoof location, which seems to be what a lot of people are getting them for.

It's worth noting that a major downside to a VPN is that traffic between you and the VPN server(s) may be encrypted, but it's not between the VPN and whatever web site you are connecting to. This could be a potential security issue.

Here is something I was just reading:
    http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/285788/...rvices-of-2015
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-12-02 at 09:59.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)