3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 11/Office 2003 problem

I used to be able to copy/paste sections of web pages into Word 11 and save for future use as a doc file, but since upgrading Windows 7 to 10 it no longer works - Word instantly shuts down. I have uninstalled Office 2003 and re-installed but it still will not work, so I copy to Textmaker if there are graphics or Notepad if I just want text, and then copy/paste to Word. Is there any way of making it work as it did in Windows 7.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure that Office2003 is 100% compatible with Win10. You could try changing the Compatibly settings.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-11-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21
    I used to be able to copy/paste sections of web pages into Word 11 and save for future use as a doc file, but since upgrading Windows 7 to 10 it no longer works - Word instantly shuts down. I have uninstalled Office 2003 and re-installed but it still will not work, so I copy to Textmaker if there are graphics or Notepad if I just want text, and then copy/paste to Word. Is there any way of making it work as it did in Windows 7.
    What browser and edition/version/bittedness of Windows 10 are you using? What else do you have running at the same time? (e.g. AV, etc.)

I've just copied/pasted some text and a photo from an MSN webpage in Edge into a new install of Word 2003 running on Windows 10 Home x64 (1607.14393), i.e. Anniversary Update.

word-2003.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-11-30)

Thanks
    Some pictures will paste into Word 2003 (or Word 2010) and some will not. It may depend on the original web page structure.

For example, I just tried pasting part of Rick Corbett's response, including the picture, from this web page into both Word versions. Neither picked up the picture, instead they gave a blank shape holder. When I tried copying the Google image, neither had any problem with it.

Text pastes into both without any problems. I am using Windows 10 and Firefox. If you are having problems with text, it is possible that you are dealing with a picture of text rather than with text.

By the way, in more than 10 years of responding to questions on this forum (and others), you are the first poster I've noticed who correctly identified Word Version 11 in Office 2003.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2016-11-30 at 08:14.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-11-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your replies. Version is 1607, OS Build 14393.447, which I believe is the latest. I have tried a number of web pages - eBay flashes up and disappears, some display text only and some display some of the pictures, it seems it is hit and miss. I will try compatibility settings - I could upgrade but I like Office 2003. Mostly it is the text I want and copy/paste into Notepad and from there into Word works a treat, providing easily edited text with the formatting stripped out.

Thanks
    Copying directly from web pages into Word often makes for difficulties with formatting. I do not have any reason to believe that changing Word versions will make any difference in this.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had success installing Office 2000 through 2003 on Win10 but mostly use only the basics. I also install the Compatibility Pack [for Office 2000 to 2003 only] from Microsoft to handle files created in Office 2007 and later.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ails.aspx?id=3
    I have seen a few posts where there was success with Office 97 but that may be more problematic.

Thanks
    I have both Word 97 and 2003 installed on Windows 10. However Word 97 opens with an error message. (Seems to be running fine, though. It is rare that I use it.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin