Results 1 to 2 of 2
2016-11-30, 19:33 #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bought a new Dell Inspiron 5555 with W10
How do I turn Cortana off. Don't want it.
2016-11-30, 20:40 #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2009
- South Glos., UK
- Thanked 580 Times in 464 Posts
1. Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save it as Disable Cortana.reg.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ; Cortana - Disable Cortana but keep search [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search] "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
3. When regedit appears in the search results (with Run command under it), right-click on regedit and choose Run as administrator.
4. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click on the Yes button.
5. When the Registry Editor opens, click File > Import.
6. Navigate to where you saved the Disable Cortana.reg file, select it and click on the Open button.
7. After the file has been imported, close the Registry Editor and restart your PC. Cortana should now act only as a search tool.
You can read more about this method here: Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
If you want to completely disable Cortana and don't mind losing its search functionality then have a read of This is How to permanently Disable Cortana, although this isn't something I've tried nor do I recommend it.
Hope this helps...
Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-11-30 at 20:51. Reason: Added more info