Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Win 10 keeps Changing my DEFAULT PROGRAM choices - how to stop this?

    I have Win 10 Pro (ver 1607 Build 14393.222) and I find that Windows keeps changing programs that I have SET for things like graphics, pdf, and HTML extensions.

    I use PDF-XChange Viewer by Tracker Software as my PDf viewer - it is a great program, solid and reliable and always has been.

    I use Irfanview for most of my graphics (jpg, png, tif, bmp, etc.) because for viewing, quick edits, re-sizing, placing text and boxes, circles, arrows, etc. is fast, easy, and simple. I use Paint Shop Pro and other programs for serious work but Irfanview is the best for taking a screenshot, marking it up for directions for folks that I help.

    My browser of choice is FireFox and I don't want Edge except now and then if a video wont play in FF

    Here's the rub, Win 10 loves to change PDF-XChange Viewer to EDGE, it changes Irfanview to PHOTOS, and it changes FireFox to Edge too. I have set these various ways, used Settings, and done the defaults, by extensions, and by Choose a program with the "ALWAYS use this program" option.

    Windows changes these at least once a week and it drives me crazy - what is going on? Is there a way to lock in my choices because the tools in Win 10 don't do it.

    Fred
    Fred S

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger Lugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    828
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 106 Times in 93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    Is there a way to lock in my choices because the tools in Win 10 don't do it.
    Hmm, they do it for me. Irfan and PDF Exchange and IE 11 have remained my default apps since I set them via the normal Settings > System > Default Apps way, ~6 months ago with all Win Updates since.

    Anyone else using your PC, who might be clicking the Reset button?

    Do the defaults all change back at the same time, or staggered?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

  3. #3
    Administrator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,947
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 821 Times in 736 Posts
    How are you setting your default programs? I make sure they are set both in:
    Settings > System > Default apps
    Control Panel > Default Programs

    My settings stick even through a new Insider Program build.

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the info.

    I've only used "Seiings" but now will also use Control Panel, which appear to be more robust. i will post back after a while with my results.

    Thanks to all.

    Fred
    Fred S

  5. #5
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Just one day later, *.jpg images are opening with "Photos" instead if Irfanview, and htm & html files are opening with Edge instead of FireFox. However, PDF's are fine and open with PDF-XChange as desired. Had to change the others AGAIN!

    Don't understand why choices won't stick!

    Fred
    Fred S

  6. #6
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    One last comment, this issue happens on my desktop and my laptop. Also, happens on two friends' computers too - VERY ANNOYING!
    Fred S

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yarra Glen, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I don't have the problem either. You may have tried this already, but here's what I do: Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. In there you will see a list of file types (extension names) on the left, then the default description of that file type, and in the third column, the current program default for opening that file type. Scroll down the list of file types to the one you are interested in, then highlight it and click on "Change program". It will show a list of programs which could open that file type; find the one you want and click OK. In my case at least, that selection sticks. I think setting it this way takes priority over the "settings" route, which I have never used, and on now going in there, I see that some defaults which I have set through the control panel actually show up as empty - "Choose a default".

  8. #8
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks Bundaburra but I've done that so many times along with the other ways that I mentioned earlier.

    I did try it again and sure enough had the same problems with Photos and Edge. However, edge has NOT touched the *.pdf program that I use.

    Fred
    Fred S

  9. #9
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    Thanks Bundaburra but I've done that so many times along with the other ways that I mentioned earlier.

    I did try it again and sure enough had the same problems with Photos and Edge. However, edge has NOT touched the *.pdf program that I use.

    Fred
    Fred,

    Where are you opening the files from? Local or online?

  10. #10
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Fred, this tenforums post may be of interest. Scroll down to neatsir's post on 04 May 2016. https://www.tenforums.com/software-a...get-saved.html

    HTH, Mark
    Last edited by mledman; 2016-12-14 at 21:04. Reason: Spelling

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to mledman For This Useful Post:

    Fred S (2016-12-17)

  12. #11
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the link Mark, I will look through it carefully.

    I did a quick look and saw there are a lot of replies, which is a good thing. Will let you know if I find anything that works here.

    Thanks, again

    Fred
    Fred S

  13. #12
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've done a lot of forum reviews and one thing seems to be common - folks that login using an MS account/login do NOT have this problem. Folks who use a LOCAL account (I do and want to) HAVE the problem.

    If this was intentional by MS then shame on them, if not, then MS needs to fix it for their customers, and fast. The need to change back over and over again is really frustrating.

    Fred
    Fred S

  14. #13
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 363 Times in 317 Posts
    In your #1 post you state:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    I have Win 10 Pro (ver 1607 Build 14393.222)...
    14393.222 is from late September 2016 (almost three months ago).

    Since 14393.222 my Win10 Pro x64 PC has upgraded itself to: 14393.321 (12 October 2016), 14393.351 (28 October 2016), 14393.447 (9 November 2016), 14393.479 (10 December 2016), and 14393.576 (14 December 2016).

    Yet in your #12 post you say:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    ...If this was intentional by MS then shame on them, if not, then MS needs to fix it for their customers, and fast...
    I seem to recall seeing the "default programs reset" issue you complain about on two-or-three customers' systems that were stuck on earlier Win10 builds (circa. 14393.222 & 14393.321) but haven't seen it in the last few builds.

    If your Win10 is still 14393.222 then I can't take your "MS needs to fix it for their customers, and fast" rant against M$ seriously - it is clearly both illogical and unreasonable.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-12-20 at 03:19. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

  15. #14
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    For your information, I am running Win 10 Pro and I'm on 14393.576 on my Desktop, and *.447 on my Laptop Win 10 Home.

    The problem is on BOTH machines, it also happens on 6 out 8 machines that I support. The two that "seem to hold" are using a MS Login, the 6 that continue to have the problem have "LOCAL" logins.

    Read the complaints in the Windows Ten Forum, and even in this Post #10, and see Post #9's question at the end.

    After reading all of these complaints on this and other forums, I checked on the 8 machines - that's when I found the two that worked had MS Logins - I never checked that before checking on that info.

    It is obvious to me that the latest builds do not solve the problem. I stand by what I said, the preponderance of opinion is that the problem is related to a LOCAL account and Not for an MS account login.

    Fred
    Last edited by Fred S; 2016-12-21 at 23:35.
    Fred S

  16. #15
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 363 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    ...It is obvious to me that the latest builds do not solve the problem. I stand by what I said, the preponderance of opinion is that the problem is related to a LOCAL account and Not for an MS account login...
    Well that's really strange because I'm using a local account on this desktop PC and also on my laptop, and don't have the problem you describe.

    EDIT: both my desktop and my laptop Win10 systems are fully updated (14393.576).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-12-22 at 07:24. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •