New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 keeps Changing my DEFAULT PROGRAM choices - how to stop this?

I have Win 10 Pro (ver 1607 Build 14393.222) and I find that Windows keeps changing programs that I have SET for things like graphics, pdf, and HTML extensions.

I use PDF-XChange Viewer by Tracker Software as my PDf viewer - it is a great program, solid and reliable and always has been.

I use Irfanview for most of my graphics (jpg, png, tif, bmp, etc.) because for viewing, quick edits, re-sizing, placing text and boxes, circles, arrows, etc. is fast, easy, and simple. I use Paint Shop Pro and other programs for serious work but Irfanview is the best for taking a screenshot, marking it up for directions for folks that I help.

My browser of choice is FireFox and I don't want Edge except now and then if a video wont play in FF

Here's the rub, Win 10 loves to change PDF-XChange Viewer to EDGE, it changes Irfanview to PHOTOS, and it changes FireFox to Edge too. I have set these various ways, used Settings, and done the defaults, by extensions, and by Choose a program with the "ALWAYS use this program" option.

Windows changes these at least once a week and it drives me crazy - what is going on? Is there a way to lock in my choices because the tools in Win 10 don't do it.

Fred
    Fred S

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    Is there a way to lock in my choices because the tools in Win 10 don't do it.
    Hmm, they do it for me. Irfan and PDF Exchange and IE 11 have remained my default apps since I set them via the normal Settings > System > Default Apps way, ~6 months ago with all Win Updates since.

Anyone else using your PC, who might be clicking the Reset button?

Do the defaults all change back at the same time, or staggered?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    How are you setting your default programs? I make sure they are set both in:
    Settings > System > Default apps
    Control Panel > Default Programs

My settings stick even through a new Insider Program build.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

I've only used "Seiings" but now will also use Control Panel, which appear to be more robust. i will post back after a while with my results.

Thanks to all.

Fred
    Fred S

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just one day later, *.jpg images are opening with "Photos" instead if Irfanview, and htm & html files are opening with Edge instead of FireFox. However, PDF's are fine and open with PDF-XChange as desired. Had to change the others AGAIN!

Don't understand why choices won't stick!

Fred
    Fred S