Thanks

IE not remembering login info

My friend's Win 10 computer had some serious malware and he brought it to Data Doctors to be cleaned up. Since then, IE does not remember any login names or passwords, even though he tells it to. At his bank site, every time he goes there it says it does not recognize the computer and requires a code be sent to his phone and he has to enter it in the browser.
    I looked at the cookie setting in IE and they are at the usual settings.

Is there some setting that could be making IE do this?
    Or could MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium be clearing the cookies and causing this?
    His antivirus is Windows Defender.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The repair may not have been completely successful - malware is bad m'kay. Try un/re-installing IE. If that fails a fresh W10 installation may be the go.

Storing passwords in your browser is a very bad idea IMO. You should use a password manager for all your logins because it's secure, easy to backup and easy to recover after a malware infection. (There are good free programs)

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-12-03)

Thanks
    As far as I know, you cannot uninstall IE in Win 10. See here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    I can only be turned on and off.
    You can reset it to it's defaults, which I already did.

Also saving passwords is only something he does on a few discussion sites, and that is not the big concern here. The main issue is the banking sites that require validation with the code from a cell phone everytime he uses them. Also other sites not remembering his login name is a pain.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try running IE without add-ons to see if that makes any difference.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-12-03)

Thanks
    I have from time to time done a "dirty re-install" -- I picked one of those interestingly-named EXE installs and actually got away with a re-install right on top of my current IE.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Brave!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I checked and the only add ons installed have been disabled.

I went through again and made sure to reset every possible setting to default and reset the browser. I have not heard back so I may have got it this time.

Thanks

Thanks

I'd try the other advice first..

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    My friend's Win 10 computer had some serious malware and he brought it to Data Doctors to be cleaned up. Since then, IE does not remember any login names or passwords, even though he tells it to. At his bank site, every time he goes there it says it does not recognize the computer and requires a code be sent to his phone and he has to enter it in the browser.
    I looked at the cookie setting in IE and they are at the usual settings.

Is there some setting that could be making IE do this?
    Or could MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium be clearing the cookies and causing this?
    His antivirus is Windows Defender.

Thanks
    All good advice given here so far - I have had some trouble with sites refusing to remember me or my passwords despite knowing I completed a full profile. The problems seems to be some of them insist on a full cookie history preserved - so I have to put that site's cookies into the CCleaner vault to get them to recognize me the next time I visit. Some anti-malware has cookie blocking features that an exception may have to be added to clear that particular site also. I think I would try another browser for sure before assuming a rock bottom cause. I never let the browser remember my passwords, I use a manager just like others have stated. So far - Firefox seems to be superior in performance to all other browsers on Windows 7 - YMMV

By the way, it looks like some forums are of the opinion that turning IE off IS considered an uninstall - seems strange to me though.
    Last edited by JCitizen; 2016-12-08 at 17:22. Reason: spelling, adding information

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JCitizen For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-12-09)