Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Gave up and went back 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mledman View Post
    Do you have a restore point older than the problem? You could try updating or rolling back the video card (GTX670) or TV tuner (ATI HDTV Wonder) drivers.
    Hey Mark.

Unfortunately, this problem reared it's ugly head in January and it was February before I realized it was serious. Those Restore Points are long gone (my tiny 120gb SSD only keeps at most one or two.)

Rolling back the nVidia drivers was no help (and there are no older/newer drivers for the tuner. I'm fortunate the 64bit Vista drivers I found years ago even work with Win7.)

I tried once more to run the Intel Driver Installer Utility, got the same error as before and noticed it was saying the "Windows Installer Service" was "not running". So I manually activated it from the CLI and got a tiny bit further only to get a different error telling me the "Base Filtering Engine" service was disabled.

Long story short, I made things worse trying to restart the "Base Filtering Engine" service. All attempts to restart it reported "Access Denied". Trying to change the Permissions also reported "Access Denied".

I finally gave up, took snapshots of my desktop, all my menus and my Program Files" folders, and just restored my 8 month old backup then spent the new few hours getting it to work smoothly (worked great 8 months ago but things change.)

After about 30 minutes, I was able to get the Internet connection working again, and while it still has a few small problems (like that annoying 81 second pause before the Login Menu I mentioned above and my TV EPG won't update), I basically have a working computer once again.

Some things will just have to remain a mystery.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you have a working computer again.

Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I do wish I knew what caused the problem so I know how to avoid it from happening again.

The only precausion I've made: Disabled "Windows Update" from automatically installing updates w/o my OK. Hopefully, that's enough. (One of the first updates it attempted upon restoring the backup were those suspicious Intel drivers.)

Thanks
    Addressing the original question: I would never do a hardware driver update via Windows Update if what I had now was working fine.

If things weren't working fine on my computer (i.e. if there was a problem with the driver currently installed), I would not use Windows Update to get it unless I had no other way of getting it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This was the first severe problem I've ever encountered with WU.

Things seems to have been rushing downhill with WU ever since MS starting pushing the Windows 10 virus on people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12