Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments not attaching ? (Outlook 2000 (sr-2))

When I originate an e-mail with an attachment from my machine using outlook 2000 and include an attachment, frequently the recipient replies that they did not receive the attachment.

When I reply to their note, the attachment gets to them fine.

And when I check my 'sent' items, I see the original note I sent and it DOES have the attachment.

Any suggestions or recommendations as to what is going on here and how I might fix it ? This has been going on for some time and is really annoying.

Thank you.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachments not attaching ? (Outlook 2000 (sr-2))

mke sure you are sending the attachment using plain text format and that the senders contact is not marked to always use RTF.

Thanks

If the recipient is running OL2002 it may be this problem <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=out&Number=81914&page=&view =&sb=&o=&vc=1>here</A>.
    (Check the size of the received mail to see if it is indicative of the attachment really being there.)

BTW - I have since discovered that opening the message in OL2002 and doing a File > Save makes the attachment visible.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The recipients have various mail packages, from outlook 97 to Eudora to Exchange Server (for companies I send to). There does not seem to be a pattern there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes the attachement is a document (ie. my resume) and sometimes it is a jpg (ie. pictures of my family vacation). The attachment type does not seem to matter.

And replying always gets through with the attachment(s) intact. Perhaps this is a problem at my ISP's server end ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To further this discussion (because it continues to be an issue!) I currently have an example in my outbox. Both of the files show that they have attachments. The first one the recipient did not receive the attachment, but they did receive the attachment on the second note.

In looking at these two messages, there IS one difference: In the first note, the attachment shows up as an icon within the note itself. In the second note (the reply) the attachment shows up below some sort of window break.

I don't know if this difference is significant. I sure hope so. I'd like to see this issue end.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

sounds like you are using rtf for some of the messages - use plain text.

BTW - they are getting the attachments wrapped in a winmail.dat file. OE hides these attachments, since it knows it can't do anything with them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give that a try.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It worked!

I can use either plain text or HTML, and the attachments seem to get through fine every time. It's just the Outlook RTF format that causes problems.

Thank you!!!