3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP DeskJet printers and NT 4.0

On all of our NT 4.0 machines (SP5 or 6a) the HP series DeskJet (600, 800 and 900 series) takes 45 seconds to 3 minutes to start. Fresh re-installs result in no change. Swapping printers and drivers results in some funny characteristics. Case in point. A DJ952C on my supervisors CPU took about 30 sec. to start printing. We got a 960 in and it takes the same amount of time. I took the 952 and swapped it with a 842 (see my earlier comments on printing problems). The 842 took almost a minute to start printing the 952 takes almost 3 minutes. Yes up to date drivers. All printers are connected via Parallel port and not shared.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HP DeskJet printers and NT 4.0

Additional information. All PC's are Dell, Pentium 2's, have between 128 and 256 MB RAM. I have tried Bi-Directional, EPP and ECP. I have tried RAW and NT formats. The two machines I upgraded to Win2k are not showing this problem. They seem a little slow compared to the Epson and Lexmark printers but considerably faster than before.

Thanks

Couple of things:
    Are you running any anti-virus software that may be checking the file as it is being spooled?
    Check out the spool directory for anything odd - should be empty if nothing is currently being printed, and from memory:
    ..winntsystem32spoolprinters

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We use the corporate version of McAfee VirusScan 4.5... A quick check on one systems shows the spool folder empty. Should I check it when printing? Also this problem does not occur with any other brand of printer (Lexmark and Epson) in the plant that is connected the same way to similair systems.

Thanks

On the pc the printer is attached to:
    Open up:
    the printer (double-click in the printers folder)
    folder: ...spoolprinters folder
    Taskmanager selected to show CPU usage.

Send a file to be printed and see what happens.
    Does the spool file appear immediately? (Printer folder and spool folder)
    Is there any other CPU usage appearing?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, here is the results of two systems. Immediately after pressing the Print button. Spoolss.exe jumps to about 20% for less than a second. System Idle returns until printing begins. The spooler runs as much as 95% and about mid page drops to about 38% on one system and 20% on the other. It jumps up almost immediately back to the 90% range. RAM had no noticeable change during any point It did go up a little. The files were a 46.4KB (for 8 pages) excel and a 23.7 KB (3page) Excel file.