New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple users (Access 2000)

I am setting up a database to allow input by multiple users. My plan is to split the database, I have never done this any am wondering if there are pitfalls I should be aware of? Any suggestions would be apprieciated.
    Thanks, Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple users (Access 2000)

Multiple users can use a non-split db. You split the db for maintenance and/or performance reasons.
    1. You have to establish an easy way (for the end user) to re-establish links from the tables in the back-end db (on the server) to the front-db (normally on the user's PC) . This is needed when a new version of the front-end is installed and when/if the back-end db is moved. Code in the front-end db should check the links and initiate proper relinking action if neccesary (Check each time the user logs on the front-end db).
    2. In addition I like to check that the version of the back-end is OK for the front-end. You might have to change the table structure in the back-end for some reason (after you have realeased it for use). Results may be strange if a user tries to use a new front-end with an old back-end (or vice versa).
    3. Linked tables may not be opened as tables in VB ( i.e. you cannot use Seek etc.). Look for help on OpenRecordset.
    4. There are special concerns when using db password. Look for help on linked databases and db passwd.

Have fun.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple users (Access 2000)

Claus pretty much answered your question. I really have nothing to add, other than to explain how I handle the linking.

Of course, the backed is on the server. I also put a master frontend on the server, and link it to the backend (specifying the location of the backend using network neighborhood (//server/c/yourlocation/etc.). Each PC has a little .bat file that sits in their Startup folder, so it gets executed each time the PC is turned on. It copies the master frontend down to a local drive. When they go to execute their local copy, it is already linked. I also check the links when the database is opened, but if there is a problem at that time, it usually means there is a network problem.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.