Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install in demand doesn't (IE5.0 NT4sp6a)

If I go to, for instance, the microsoft download page, I am prompted to install on demand some component I apparently don't have. Fine. Great. I press the download button. Things start to go pear shaped from here.
    Another window pops up saying:
    "Windows Update
    Setup has checked the CD-ROM specified and cannot find the component you are trying to install. Please insert 'Windows Update' CD into the drive specified below...."
    The drive dropdown defaults to E:, but I can select "The Internet". It sounds promising, but then I get another window "Component Download Failed".
    This occurs for a variety of components when I visit other sites, but has never caused a problem.

How can I get Install on Demand to actually work?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install in demand doesn't (IE5.0 NT4sp6a)

Try to upgrade Internet Explorer to v.5.5 SP2 or v.6

Seemly your installation of IE was corrupted.