New Lounger
    Thanks

Java 2 Runtime Environment

Win98se

Any thoughts on the Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.3.1.2
    now being ofered vs. Microsoft's Virtual Machine Build 3802?

Thx

J

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Java 2 Runtime Environment

I don't know that there's much to base an opinion on, since Java seems a relatively rare phenomenon these days. Flash is what most web designers are using to spice up their pages anymore.

The only thing that I have tried that uses the Java 2 engine is LimeWire, and I found it excessively slow to start up. Sun has effectively positioned a potentially great language for obscurity with their handling of Java. Is there a particular reason that you are asking?
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fellas
    From what I read the MS JVM is supposed to be superior to other offereings. Don't ask me why.
    Although there is no connection between Java applets and javascript, on a Windows system the VM has some input to the running of both of them.
    I get the latest MS JVM when one becomes available (such as the version above) download and install - then forget it. That, I feel, is how it'smeant to function...

New Lounger
    Thanks

You don't learn if you don't ask. CNET just started offering it, and I wanted some feedback from a knowledgable, independent source.

Interestingly, your observation echoed a comment from CNET user who said "Maybe the first time in their life, MS is right about it, Sun doesn't like/ care about their _OWN_ product.

If accessing alleged spyware like Limewire is the best recommendation for upgrading Java, then I'll pass.

Do you have this latest Java version?

J

New Lounger
    Thanks

Forgot to ask. Isn't this the type of plug-in that !E 5.5 SP2 and above no longer supports?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed I am using the latest Microsoft version. Sun doesn't like it because Microsoft made it run better and faster but broke some rules in the process. To this I say, bah, cross-platform is a nice idea but since 98% of the world's desktop PCs run some flavor of Windows, I will stick with what performs the best. Compared to the Java 2 environment, load time is substantially shorter. This is only for the initialization of the Java "sandbox" and happens once per session, but just the same, there's no good reason a 1GHz PC should stall, stutter and choke to load a small program. None whatsoever!

I'd stick with the Microsoft VM unless you have something that requires Java 2 - such as Netscape 6.x, or the disliked LimeWire.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Short answer - Nope. It's the older style NetScape plug-ins, the most notorious of recent memory that broke was QuickTime.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thats why I come to this forum. Good advice and clear, straight answers. I'm gonna stick with my latest version of MVM. If it ain't broke.......right?

Thanks to both Mark & Merc.

J