3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB memory devices not recognised

My Windows 10 home desktop will no longer recognise USB memory sticks and a card reader. Recently, following a newsletter describing Autoruns I loaded the program and unticked certain entries, none of which I would have thought would have this effect viz. Ccleaner monitor, Spotify web help, several relating to Gary Utilities, also several AVG and Acronis entries– neither of which I have on the computer. I have checked all of the USB entries in device manager and all are reported to be working properly. My scanner is USB connected and works OK, as do both my radio and “normal” mouse. The light on an external backup hard drive illuminates so there is power available; there are USB sockets both front and back, swapping between them still does not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    First off, I suggest using USBDeview to clear the entries of all non-connected devices then to monitor what happens when you attach a new USB device.

(Make sure you use the correct version of USBDeview, i.e. x32 or x64, appropriate for your system.)

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2017-03-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I have run USBDeviewer and all seems well, but the devices still do not show up in windows explorer. I inserted a memory stick and a usb card reader with card. Both show up on the display with the correct time stamp and no indication of error, so presumably it is a software problem rather than hardware. I realise that shortly before I tried to access the card reader I had used “disk cleaner” within “Your Un-installer Pro”, which I have used for many years without a problem. I have attached two screenshots. Should I re-post under Windows 10?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2017-03-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21
    I inserted a memory stick and a usb card reader with card. Both show up on the display with the correct time stamp and no indication of error, so presumably it is a software problem rather than hardware.
    It looks like they don't have drive letters assigned (or are formatted with a filesystem that Windows doesn't recognize. Calimanco has posted a very helpful link to an article which should determine what the issue is and how to resolve it.

Hope this helps...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2017-03-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the instructions in the link given. The USB stick and the card reader do not appear in Disk Management. In Device Manager there are five USB device entries – all have a yellow ! against them. For each one Properties indicates “A driver (service) for this device has been disabled, an alternate driver may be providing functionality”. I selected Update Driver through the internet for each one and got the same message “Driver software for your device is up to date”. The devices still do not appear in Windows Explorer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2017-03-17)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved, thanks to the last post. I made an image of my hard drive before attempting the various solutions, but first, as one of the suggestions in the lifewire article, I looked for a recent system restore point and there was one nine days ago, so I tried it and it worked; strange, but I have never used system restore before that I can remember (difficult, I am 89). Thanks to you all for spending your valuable time to help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad to see that you've got there - I have some catching up to do as a youngster at 69