Lounger
    Thanks

System Repair Disk

I downloaded the patch for UPNP posted by Msoft as MS01-059, posted on 12/20/01, and mentioned by Woody in the latest Windows Watch bulletin. However, when I try to install it, it recommends that I "Update my System Repair Disk, Backup my important data, and close all open programs." I find no way to create, let alone update, the System Repair Disk. Can't find it anywhere, can't locate a reference to it in Help, Knowledgebase doesn't even mention it. Does anyone know how to do this in XP Pro?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Repair Disk

If you just ignore the option, XP seems to do most of this for you (though not updating the ERD) during the download process. The ERD bit sounds to me like a carry-over from 2000. Why not set a System Restore Point before you begin?
    If you really must have an SRD in XP, I believe you choose to make it during the installing.

Rgds

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What you are being asked to do is to create an Automated System Recovery disk. There is no longer a simple repair disk in XP (boo Microsoft) but the ASR is very similar. You need to start the backup program (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Backup) or you can just go to Start, Run, and enter NTBACKUP.

Either way you get there, you will find the ASR wizard....and it will guide you through the steps. I tend to agree with Merc in that you don't need to do a full system backup for this patch. Seems rather extreme to me.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info.