New Lounger
    Thanks

Necessary Patch Files (Office 97)

With Microsoft announcing that they will soon be ending technical support for Office 97, we (where I work) have discussed trying to collect all the various patches that have been issued so we could manually apply them when creating (or recreating) a system (as opposed to using the Windows Update feature to automatically scan and update a system).

Has anyone seen or created a list of "patches that should be applied?" Any opinions on what should and should not be included?

I have the same concerns about Win 98 (yes, we still use it since it does meet all our needs -- and we're not ready to upgrade) so I'll be posting this type of message in that message board as well.

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Necessary Patch Files (Office 97)

I use Office 97 at home and have applied every available patch (through SR-2a, I think). It might just be good luck, but the suite is absolutely rock-solid and became more so with each subsequent patch. These patches should still be available, probably on CD or by download, from MIcrosoft. Good luck!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Necessary Patch Files (Office 97)

I copied this instruction from WOW couple of years ago and downloaded the patches. All patches mentioned below are the latest availabe - you can find them on MS Office webpage <A target="_blank" HREF=http://office.microsoft.com/Downloads/default.aspx>http://office.microsoft.com/Downloads/default.aspx</A>

If you already have the SR-2 version of Office 97 on your computer then you CANNOT run the 'SR-2b' patch - it will detect the presence of SR-2 on your computer and despite the fact that it is an older version of the Service Release, it will refuse to install.
    The alternative for SR-2 users is to apply the separate patches as follows:
    1. Outlook 97 o97dtfix
    or Outlook 98 o98dtfix
    and follow instructions from README files.
    2. ODBC / Jet jet35sp3.exe
    The combination of the old SR-2 plus the above patches will bring you to the equivalent of SR-2b.
    After you have installed SR-2b you're not done in bringing Office 97 up to date. You need to apply the following 3 patches:
    1. The Word 97 Template Security Patch
    wd97sp.htm
    2. The Forms 2.0 Control Security Patch
    fm2paste.htm
    3. The new Excel 97 patch that the Microsoft SR-2b site doesn't yet mention:
    xl8p10pkg.htm
    Note that you must reapply these patches after the SR-2b patch - even if you have already installed them. SR-2b overwrites some of the files updated in the patch and you have to update all over again. So much for a 'one click' solution.