New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98 Help Screen at Startup

Each time I start my father's computer, the Windows Help Screen is displayed. I can not find any "option" to prevent it from loading at Startup. Help???

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98 Help Screen at Startup

Does the Help window reappear at startup even if you closed it before shutting down the last time? Have you checked your Startup folder...maybe there's a clue there? It sounds like you may have an errant entry in a Registry Run key somewhere.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions... but the Help screen ALWAYS reappears at Startup no matter when it is closed (but I'm so desperate to resolve this, I'll try closing it at shut down time again just to be sure). I've also looked at the Startup Folder and can see nothing that looks suspicious to me. I've also run msconfig, and don't see anything that looks like "Help". I must admit, however, I don't know what the specific "load Windows Help" command/parameter/program looks like.
    ... got any other suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Start | Run, type MSCONFIG (Enter) and click Startup button. Do you see any suspicious?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried that and saw nothing "suspicious". However, I don't profess to be any type of expert! I found no program that had some combination of "help,hlp, etc." in its name, nor did I find any obvious parameter on any program that seemed to invoke Help. ...got any other suggestions...?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Find a file in the Windows directory called WIN.INI and find two lines in it : LOAD= and RUN= Check that there is no sign of a file being loaded there.

In the root of your boot drive, find and open autoexec.bat for editing. Check nothing in there is doing it either. Do the same for config.sys

Finally, try CTRL-ALT-DEL (once only) and see what is running.

There are other possibilities if you are confident in editing the Registry.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I have just had gallbladder surgery, and was "out-of-pocket" for a bit. I looked at Win.INI and there is nothing on the Load= and only one program on Run= called "hpfsched". There was nothing in either the Autoexec.bat or config.sys. When I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what was running, "Window Help" was listed for that window (no program name). When I closed the Help window, and then did another C-A-D, that was the only thing missing from the list.

Am I looking for a specific program which runs this Help window? If so, what's it called?

I also looked at the "about" for the window and it says it is Microsoft HTML Help Version 4.78875, if that will help...

I'm okay with editing the Registry if you can just explain clearly what I need to do, and why I'm doing it.

thanks!!!